Allergic to tortoise excrement?

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Have you guys heard of anyone being allergic or sensitive to tortoise excrement,? Thanks so much. ☺

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I haven't, but I'm sure it's possible. Also easy to prevent outbreaks. Just wear gloves when cleaning anything in the enclosure and when handling the tortoise. Incase there is poops remains n his little toe nails.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I as well have not heard of that. I imagine someone allergic to tortoise excrement, would be allergic to all excrement.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Given that tort poop content is basically digested food. I would have thought it more likely that any reaction might be to the item that's been eaten rather than the poop itself.

OP this is a rather 'unusual' question. Are you suffering? Or do you know someone who might be?

What species of tort are we talking about? Their diets vary and thus so will their poop

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Given that tort poop content is basically digested food. I would have thought it more likely that any reaction might be to the item that's been eaten rather than the poop itself.

OP this is a rather 'unusual' question. Are you suffering? Or do you know someone who might be?

What species of tort are we talking about? Their diets vary and thus so will their poop
That's what I would have expected. I have a sensitivity to grass but only when I touch it directly and I have no problem with Charlie's poop, except that it is unpleasant to have to clean it up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. I've never heard of anyone being allergic to tortoise poop.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hmmm. Well, I have never heard of such an allergy either, but it does give me the beginning of an idea....how to get someone else to clean the enclosure!!!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hmmm. Well, I have never heard of such an allergy either, but it does give me the beginning of an idea....how to get someone else to clean the enclosure!!!

I like the way you think Tammy , I am starting to itch already !
t2008.gif