Alligator Snapping Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sardis, MS
Hi I found a baby alligator snapping turtle that was lethargic. I am nursing him back to health and he is getting better. Does anyone know about the laws in MS for having one? I think you have to get a permit since they are endangered. I just cant find any straight info on the issue. I dont plan on keeping him I just want to make sure it is ok in the meantime until he gets better. He just seems to have injured his back leg and I know he would not last long out in the wild.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
shmily1605 said:
Hi I found a baby alligator snapping turtle that was lethargic. I am nursing him back to health and he is getting better. Does anyone know about the laws in MS for having one? I think you have to get a permit since they are endangered. I just cant find any straight info on the issue. I dont plan on keeping him I just want to make sure it is ok in the meantime until he gets better. He just seems to have injured his back leg and I know he would not last long out in the wild.

TURTLES - The harvest, possession, shipment, sale and transport of turtle or tortoise eggs of any species is prohibited (Public Notice 2552).
NON-GAME wildlife (turtles, snakes, frogs, fish, etc.) or their parts taken from wild Mississippi populations may not be bought, sold, offered for sale or exported for sale (Public Notice 3201). No person shall possess more than a total of 20 nongame reptiles (turtles, lizards, skinks, and snakes), no more than 4 can be of the same species, nor more than a total of 40 nongame amphibians (salamanders, newts, toads and frogs), no more than 4 of which can be of the same species (Public Notice 3201). From this page: http://www.mdwfp.com/level2/Fisheries/Fishing_Commercial.asp

Seems the law, in MS, is that it is illegal to collect alligator snapping turtles from April 1- June 30. This is the time period that females nest.

That's all I could find.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Terry Allan Hall said:
shmily1605 said:

TURTLES - The harvest, possession, shipment, sale and transport of turtle or tortoise eggs of any species is prohibited (Public Notice 2552).
NON-GAME wildlife (turtles, snakes, frogs, fish, etc.) or their parts taken from wild Mississippi populations may not be bought, sold, offered for sale or exported for sale (Public Notice 3201). No person shall possess more than a total of 20 nongame reptiles (turtles, lizards, skinks, and snakes), no more than 4 can be of the same species, nor more than a total of 40 nongame amphibians (salamanders, newts, toads and frogs), no more than 4 of which can be of the same species (Public Notice 3201). From this page: http://www.mdwfp.com/level2/Fisheries/Fishing_Commercial.asp

Seems the law, in MS, is that it is illegal to collect alligator snapping turtles from April 1- June 30. This is the time period that females nest.

That's all I could find.

Thanks that is about all I could find also. So I guess Im ok. Thanks Much :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I would check with a local wildlife rehab center and see if they can assist or know for sure if you can be in possesion of one to help it. They also may know where it can be released.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
ASTs are illegal to keep as pets in ALL 50 states...unless you can obtain a rehabbers permit.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Laura said:
I would check with a local wildlife rehab center and see if they can assist or know for sure if you can be in possesion of one to help it. They also may know where it can be released.

I already have. I did today. They said I would have to get a permit if I wanted to keep it. Which they said it is not hard to do. But if I am just helping it they have no problem. He will be released were he was found which is in my backyard pond.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
shmily1605 said:
Laura said:

I already have. I did today. They said I would have to get a permit if I wanted to keep it. Which they said it is not hard to do. But if I am just helping it they have no problem. He will be released were he was found which is in my backyard pond.

Try to go directly to Mississippi Dept of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks...here's their link...

http://home.mdwfp.com/

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
DeanS said:
shmily1605 said:
Laura said:

Try to go directly to Mississippi Dept of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks...here's their link...

http://home.mdwfp.com/

Yeah I have already looked at this website. Thanks The lady I called today was kind of unsure so I have to call back tomorrow. But what I found is that you can not have more than one and they can not be captured during the dates listed above. Im not worried about it; I was just curious. I dont plan on keeping it. Thanks for all your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.