Aloha from Oahu!

adamlyon

Location (City and/or State)
Oahu
My name is Adam and I live on Oahu. I just want to start by thanking every member of this forum for sharing all of their experiences and information. I couldn't be more excited about finding so many people as enthusiastic as I am when it comes to doing things right for their animals. I have yet to make my first tortoise purchase for I am anxiously counting down the days until I come back from vacation just after the New Year, but I am leaning towards getting a baby Sulcata. I am using these next 2-3 months to scour the web for all things tortoise. This forum has already provided me a wealth of knowledge and I am hungry for more.

As of now, since Hawaii lacks a solid reputable breeder, I am forced to search craigslist for hatchlings. I want to get the tortoise as young as possible because I want to ensure it is being fed and cared for properly. I am not sure if there is too young an age to obtain a tortoise, but it looks like I should not have an issue obtaining a Sulcata hatchling if craigslist is any indication. If anyone knows how long after hatching one should wait before re-homing I would appreciate it.

Every day I go online and search for proper Sulcata hatchling environments. I have seen so many great ideas that I am overwhelmed with what’s the best. I am willing to spend any amount to make the tortoise happy. The initial enclosure I was going to buy was that popular z00-med tortoise box that is being sold on Amazon for 95$. Upon further research I hear the box is flimsy and it will warp if it gets too wet. I now am leaning towards buying a Wal-mart Rubbermaid bin and cutting the top for the light, but that’s not going to look very nice. I am also debating making a tortoise box from scratch, but again was concerned with the wood warping. What do you all think is going to make the baby most happy?

I was planning to use this light: Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor Bulb - 160 Watts (120V), but am almost certain this will make things too hot and too bright for a young Sulcata especially since room temp here in Hawaii is always at least 80 degrees all year. I have read of others having extremely high temps when they use stronger bulbs and have seen people on this forum recommend a simple 45watt bulb for that reason. I must emphasize I intend to get the tortoise in direct Hawaiian sun for at least an hour a day every day. Would that be too much or too little direct sun exposure? I understand keeping the babies humid is essential for proper growth. The average humidity in my house is ranges from 50-60%. With that being said what is my target humidity for the baby? I will be soaking the tortoise 3 times a week for about 20 mins as well. I was planning to use coco coir mixed with top soil. Is this the best idea for a baby Sulcata? What would be the ideal ratio of coco coir to soil? I was thinking 50/50.

I apologize for asking so much on one post, I welcome any and all advice. I know there will always be something new to learn and that is why I am here. Thank you all for your time.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Welcome!

I think the best place to start would be this post.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/

I'm sure other people will come in and post all their favorite baby sulcata posts. That one has a home built box of Tom's that he treats to prevent water damage and is home for a few hatchlings, so I imagine you can easily scale down for one, but theres no such thing as too much room if you don't want to scale down.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Adam, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sure there are people in Hawaii who raise and sell tortoise babies. We have quite a few Hawaiian members who have spoken about the different species of tortoises there on the islands.

adamlyon

Oahu
Welcome!

I think the best place to start would be this post.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/

I'm sure other people will come in and post all their favorite baby sulcata posts. That one has a home built box of Tom's that he treats to prevent water damage and is home for a few hatchlings, so I imagine you can easily scale down for one, but theres no such thing as too much room if you don't want to scale down.

Awesome, I learned a whole lot from that thread. I suppose I should just search the forums. I am sure there are answers to all my questions somewhere. Thank you for that.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Adam, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
You have a magnificent name, in my opinion.
Have a read of http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
as well as http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/.
These should answer most of you questions, but please ask if you have any after you've read 'em.
There are a lot of sulcata owners and breeders here who will be very happy to help you.

MauiSulcata

Maui, Hawaii
Aloha Adam! I just joined the forum and live on Maui. I have a baby sulcata that I've had for about a month. I think he is about 3 or 4 months old now. Would love to connect and talk about our environments and share information. You will fortunately have a few more shopping options on Oahu than I have here on Maui. I did order the Zoo Med Tortoise Table from Amazon and am pretty happy with it. We actually started out with a large guinea pig cage that worked pretty well while we were scrambling to figure out something more permanent. I'm still trying to figure out what the best temperature is as I keep reading so much conflicting information on that. The temp inside my house is typically right around 80 deg, as you mentioned. I'm not sure about the humidity. I do have central a/c, but even if we do run it, we still keep the thermostat set on 80 as that's just what we're used to. Even so, I have a heat lamp on one corner of the Tortoise Table and the thermometer in there shows it ranges from 90 to a little over 100 degrees. Darwin actually seems to prefer that warmer area of his home and mostly stays over there under the heat lamp and doesn't spend as much time in the cooler parts. He's been getting outside in the sun for several hours about 5 days a week, so I'm hoping there's not a "too much" sun! (he has shaded areas he can easily get to and spends some time there when he's outside). Anyway, happy to meet a fellow Hawaii resident who will be undertaking this learning journey!