Alot of water/pee and no thick urates, is this normal??

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I've moved my tortoise indoors for the winter and she is in a greenhouse in my room. Every couple of days I would hear this sound that honestly sounded like a pregnant womens water breaking. Thats the only example I can think of to explain it. Every time I heard it, my tortoise would be somewhere hidden. But today she was on her "loft" so I could see her and she started to poop and I heard that sound. I saw alot of urine or stored water everywhere. I was wondering if this is normal? I have never seen her have thick white urate, the only thing I have ever seen is maybe a little white stuff in her water bowl and grit. So was she releasing urate and stored water. I was also wondering if this means shes well hydrated, because I've ready many times that it should be thick and white.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
I would think that the amount you say she pees and how often. She is getting enough water. Do you know how she drinks her water? From a water dish or while soaking?

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Normal. Leopards are very messy. They "pee" a lot and drink a lot. This is a good sign that your tortoise is well hydrated.
Ok, great. Thank you for your help! I figured she would be well hydrated, but all the information I've ready about leopard tortoises mentions white urates.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ok, great. Thank you for your help! I figured she would be well hydrated, but all the information I've ready about leopard tortoises mentions white urates.
Urates are formed when they are not well hydrated enough. Most people don't keep them well hydrated.