Alternative Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, hope you are having/had a nice day.

I was wondering what alternatives you guys are using for heating and lighting. Just now, my 4th bulb in 5 months of tortoiseownership went out- 3 days after purchase. I know, most people do not have problems with them and I am probably unlucky. But nevertheless I wanted to know, if there is an alternative.
I read somewhere that you could use normal bulbs. I live in SoCal, so I expose my tortoises to natural sunlight daily, given it is warm enough. For inside days I would use a separate UVB bulb- do you think
a 5.0 is okay for 8 months old leopards? Im worried about their eyes.
Also, are there alternative light fixtures? I got mine from the pet
store and they dont seem very sturdy, they are already loose.
Sorry, last question for now: Can I use a heating cable inside a rubbermaid tank (along the walls), if taped correctly?

Thanks a lot you all, have a nice evening!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
ulkal said:
Hi everyone, hope you are having/had a nice day.

I was wondering what alternatives you guys are using for heating and lighting. Just now, my 4th bulb in 5 months of tortoiseownership went out- 3 days after purchase. I know, most people do not have problems with them and I am probably unlucky. But nevertheless I wanted to know, if there is an alternative.
I read somewhere that you could use normal bulbs. I live in SoCal, so I expose my tortoises to natural sunlight daily, given it is warm enough. For inside days I would use a separate UVB bulb- do you think
a 5.0 is okay for 8 months old leopards? Im worried about their eyes.
Also, are there alternative light fixtures? I got mine from the pet
store and they dont seem very sturdy, they are already loose.
Sorry, last question for now: Can I use a heating cable inside a rubbermaid tank (along the walls), if taped correctly?

Thanks a lot you all, have a nice evening!

I buy my bulbs at petsmart for the simple reason that I can take them back if they burn out,,,up to 90 days and you need to bring the receipt. I like the Mvb bulbs but they are expensive, they put out nec. heat and light

ulkal

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply. I will definitely do that- got mine from petsmart as well. Also shipped off a MVB, waiting for a replacement.
Its rather for the future- do not want to deal with returns anymore... the nearest petsmart is a 30-45 min drive...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Usually when these bulbs burn out it is too small of a dome and a thin cord, OR it's because the bulb is mounted at an angle instead of straight down, OR it's because the fixture is resting on a screen and too much heat is being retained. You need an 11" aluminum dome, a ceramic based fixture and the heavier 12 gauge cord that can be purchased for about $12 at Home Depot or Lowes. The bulb needs to hang straight down and not be touching a screen or anything.

Do not use the 5.0 coil bulb. They can burn their eyes.

With our climate and daily sun exposure, you do not need any artificial indoor UV. Even in winter when they stay indoors for a week or two due to cold weather. You can use regular incandescent flood bulbs for heat and light and a florescent tube for additional light if needed.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Thats probably it, the dome is too small- therefore nobody to blame but myself so far :D
Thanks a lot for your help.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Tom said:
Usually when these bulbs burn out it is too small of a dome and a thin cord, OR it's because the bulb is mounted at an angle instead of straight down, OR it's because the fixture is resting on a screen and too much heat is being retained. You need an 11" aluminum dome, a ceramic based fixture and the heavier 12 gauge cord that can be purchased for about $12 at Home Depot or Lowes. The bulb needs to hang straight down and not be touching a screen or anything.

The 'thin cord' you reference is most likely 18 awg, which is standard and more than adequate. The lights at Home Depot/Lowes have a different type of cord, but it is either 18 or 16 awg. Most likely 18, but brooder lights with 16 awg cords do actually exist. I'm not sure what the point of a brooder light with a 12 gauge cord would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.