Alternatives to Cypress Mulch & Orchid Bark?

P

pguinpro

Hoping to find some alternatives, there are so many different kinds of mulch at the big box stores and from online suppliers. I find it hard to believe cypress is the only option. Also orchid bark sounds great but there is very little in the bags being sold at local garden centers. I want to buy 25lbs to 50lbs bags. Also what do they live on in their native environment? Just dirt?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If your plant nursery sells the small bags, they can order larger bags for you. The store where I used to buy orchid bark went out of business and I now have to buy it at a plant nursery. They only sold little quart bags of the stuff, but same brand I used to buy at the out of business store. So I asked if they would order me a couple larger bags and they did. I used to pay $10.95 at the other store. The nursery sells me that size bag for $15. So I'm shoppping around for when I need it again.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Coconut coir can be used also. We use certain things to help hold in the humidity little ones need and get in the wild in their deep substrate and lots of ground cover. Something most can't give in a house enclosure.

P

pguinpro

Anything else besides the aforementioned? I've already tried coco choir and it's messy and my tort doesn't dig as much. He seems to like mulch and moss.