always in her warm side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hermy always stays in her hot side (90-95 degrees).

My questions are:

Can it be dangerous for her to always be in warm temperatures?

Should I remove her hide in the hot side?

Thanks

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
Not as long as that is indeed the temperature range. They love the warmth and it's good for them. The only question is whether she has enough room to roam around. The warmth warms up their blood and metabolism for them to be active, but if she's not being active after wondering around then there might not be enough room. Just a thought.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
RTfanatic said:
Not as long as that is indeed the temperature range. They love the warmth and it's good for them. The only question is whether she has enough room to roam around. The warmth warms up their blood and metabolism for them to be active, but if she's not being active after wondering around then there might not be enough room. Just a thought.

The problem is that I dont think she is that active during the day. When I get home from work the lights are closed. 2 times a week, I wake her up for a bath, after her bath she is much more active. I am not sure if it is the bath or the closed lights that gives her energy. That is why I am worried. I am under the impression that she stays in her hot side just because she got used to this it. I would say the warm side dimensions are 3'*3'.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa can you post a pic of Hermy's enclosure?

Hello robyn

Sorry my camera is broken, but I took those pics 1 or 2 months ago.

Here are the the changes I made since

I removed some rocks. In the cold side, I put some eco earth mixed with sand (she never wants to go in it). The log that you see in the aspen is now in the cold side on the carptet and I added one more hide in her substrate (she has now 3 hides). In the middle of the aspen, there is one piece of wood (it is a natural wood background Zoomed made for terrarium, but the guy at the reptile expo told me I could put it for Hermy to walk on it, and I have to admit, she really likes it. Most of the time, she wants to stay on the carpet, and sometimes she goes on the piece of wood.

That is the warm side
H.jpg

and that is the cool side.

H2.jpg

The light you see in the cold side is for the winter (when It is cold, I put a red light)

It is like she is scared to go on the cold side, maybe it is because it is darker.

The temps in the cold side are 77-82 degrees. I know they should be a little lower than that but since it is the summer, it is not so cold in the house. I have a heatpump, but the vet told me to keep the door of Hermy's room closed when the A/C is on.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, I think Hermy has enough room. She probably really likes it warm. She is still a wee little one (in tortoise terms) so I would think she is probably doing fine. She is eating and being hydrated. On the days you are home spend some time watching her, you may find she is more active than you thought. My little Greeks come out in the early AM and eat and wander around then back to bed. Then up again in the late afternoon. Then in bed by about 4 pm. They are active and eating fine. eyes clear and when I watch them on my days off they are actually up more than I thought. They spend most of the day on the warm side and in their warm hide also.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Oh boy ... is it recommended to have a hide on both ends? I currently do not. I have come home from work and found the Pebble burried under the bark/aspen right under the lamp.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Pebbles Mom, I have a hide on the warm side which my Greek hatchlings seem to like to sleep under but my 5 year old (?) Greek does not use the hide and burries herself under the aspen, as occasionally does my yearling (well. Comet will be a year in Nov). I think it really depends on the tort itself. Some like the hide. Some don't. Outside she will use the hide. Inside she won't even though they are the same hide. Go figure. I think if your tort is burried under the substrate then she is just were she wants to be. Just make sure she is well hydrated and that her humidity is good. I do not have a Hermann and I am sure Chris is better at telling you exactly what they need or don't. These are just my observations with my Greeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.