Am I becoming a hypochondriac about my tortoise????

melissah

So yes I admit I know very little about tortoises, I'm learning.... but I seem to stress over every little thing like a new mom :/ my latest concern is I think my Armstrongs face/head color is becoming grayish or ashy..... I have been doing soaks so possibly he's just dry??? I'm not sure, is this normal? I tried taking pictures but the color doesn't seem to be showing good.

20161108_214838.jpg 20161108_214727.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings... If you are doing daily soaks, then that would not explain any perceived dryness. Since ur asking, although im not familiar with this species, most keepers here on the forum would discourage the use of those pellets as ur substrate. Very dry, prevents high humidity levels. There are far better things to use. Are you providing the proper humidity levels for this species?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Melissah. We're all hypochondriacs with our tortoises.

I agree with the above comment about your substrate. Photos of the enclosure and lighting will help us to see if there's anything else that's of concern.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Get rid of the rabbit pellets and replace it with a substrate that can hold in some humidity.
Orchid bark would work great with regular soakings and some spraying.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you get your tortoise set up properly, you wouldn't have a need for all the worrying. How big is he? He looks too big to be in an aquarium. The housing is wrong and so is the substrates. He is too dry, daily soaks don't make up for lack of humidity. Lots of changes needed ASAP. Please read the threads under the sulcata section.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The grey, ash like face you are referring to is from drying out on top of the rabbit pellets. Rabbit pellets absorb moisture.

Switch to an earthy type of substrate and you'll see a difference.

How large is your tortoise? His size will determine his needed set up.

BekahBear

5 Year Member
Arizona
if you make a post in the Sulcata specific forum (its under "forums", "species specific", "african tortoises", "sulcata tortoises") everyone there can help you to get your enclosure and husbandry correct for your little guy. everyone was a really big help for me back when i rescued mine several years ago. i dont know what i would have done without their help.