am i doing things right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelver1211

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
salem, oregon
As a new mom to my redfoot I am wanting to make sure i am doing all things right. I have her in a tort table enclosure that is 6X4 and for substrate i have cypress mulch and the moss, i have a shallow bowl of water big enough for her to get in, I have lights on one end and the temp on that end stays 90-95..i also have a hide on the lighted end. On the cool end i have a hide with the moss inside and the temp on the cool end stays..75-80. My humidity stays 80% and above. She has a healthy appetite and all, I just want to make sure i am doing all things right. :) Any suggestions that anyone can give me for her would be greatly appreciated.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
It sounds like she has it good. My only suggestion is on lighted side you face the entrance to the hide away from the light. RFs don't care for bright light but if she is eating and active, you seem to be well on the right track. You didn't mention if the warm hide humid, if not that would be a good idea.

turtlelver1211

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
salem, oregon
Itort said:
It sounds like she has it good. My only suggestion is on lighted side you face the entrance to the hide away from the light. RFs don't care for bright light but if she is eating and active, you seem to be well on the right track. You didn't mention if the warm hide humid, if not that would be a good idea.

the hides i have are facing away from the light, and the hide on the warm side is humid....should the hide on the cool side be dry or damp? Thanks for your suggestions

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
We [ as well as others.. Itort being one ] have had good results with the caresheets in the links in my signature.

Being from near the equator in South America.. they really don't have that much of a temp variation.. unlike those from the North-Eastern hemisphere.

NERD

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like your doing great. How big/old is the RF?

turtlelver1211

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
salem, oregon
Jacqui said:
Sounds like your doing great. How big/old is the RF?

She is 4 1/2 inches (SCL) and as far as her age I been told from pics i have sent to one person that she looks to be around 5 or 6.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
turtlelver1211, first let me say welcome to the tortoise forum. Redfoots are much more active with out having a bright light.
Are you using the bulb as the heat source? There are alot of ceramic heaters that you might want to research , I have never used one. Also I would strongly recommend that you have a hiding spot for your redfoot that has 100% humidity especially for a young redfoot like yours. The 80ish% for the enclosure is good. Redfoots really enjoy that dripping wet hiding place.

It is awesome that you are out asking questions and researching. Keep it up! If you haven't already try and post some pictures in the photo section. It would be cool to check out your red foot.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
The main reason RFBT doesn't use heat emitters is because he's in southern FL where it's 100+F. He told me once they had to turn the heater on in the car when it got into the 50's.. they broke out their flannels and everything. He said they were doing this to stay warm..
36_2_471.gif

16_5_42.gif

NERD

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wait a minute Terry! Thems fighting words. I grew up in Northern Colorado and moved to TRULY DEEP SOUTH FLORIDA. I start to cry when the temps go below 60 F. I have closed up the house and turned the heater up to 70 just to keep from going into a brief hibernation. I wish that this were not true, but I am being completely honest. How sad! LOL My Swedish Grandparents are turning in their graves! Best to all Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.