Am I feeding my Sulcata hatchling correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaderWS6

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
This is my Sulcata hatchlings current diet:

50% white, red, and dino clover

40% dandelion leaves

5% African elephant bush leaves

5% wild strawberry leaves

It just won't eat any type of hay or grasses. Is this diet ok? I sprinkle calcium carbonate powder over its food about 4 times a week, and soak every other day for 15 minutes.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Are these from your yard? What about planting other types of broadleaves, weeds, etc? At first glance it appears most of the food you feed are high in oxalic acid, so I would try to add some foods in that are not as high to balance those out (they are good foods though). Variety is key and in my opinion you could have more, but it's not horrible at the same time. I have heard most Sulcatas don't like hays and grasses at first, but introducing them early in small amounts will help. You can grind up either and put with regular food in in creasing amounts, but it sounds like your tort grazes? With a hatchling you can do calcium daily, and also offer a cuttlebone. The soaking sounds good as long as you also have a soaking dish available.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Vadar here is a site just for Sullys and it has a really good food list on it.
http://africantortoise.com/diet.htm

Remember hatchlings often don't eat hay or grasses until a little older. To get them to eat green grass cut small pieces and sprinkle on damp broad leaf weeds. The small pieces fo grass will stick and it will get some grass. A varied diet is one of the best diets.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i just let my sulcatas go in there outside enclosure and they eat all the weeds and grass. make sure you give them a calicum suppliement regularly when feeding

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't think it's enough variety. Where's the leafs, grape leafs, mulberry leafs, and rose petals, and chopped up grasses and hay...so my opinion is no, you are not feeding enough of a variety. I feed my smaller tortoises something different every day AND they are put outside to graze daily...

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
maggie3fan said:
I don't think it's enough variety. Where's the leafs, grape leafs, mulberry leafs, and rose petals, and chopped up grasses and hay...so my opinion is no, you are not feeding enough of a variety. I feed my smaller tortoises something different every day AND they are put outside to graze daily...

Maggie, when you say rose petals, you mean like actual roses and not the rose of sharon hibiscus right? Are all roses safe then to eat?

VaderWS6

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Thanks for the advice! Especially on the chopped grasses, will get to it asap.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Both roses and rose of sharon hibiscus are safe as long as they have not had systemic pesticides/fertilizers.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Red Rose pedals are especially sweet try some. :) Really. I love them is salads they taste good and add color and look good too. As you decrease in color you find they are not as sweet and sometimes white even tend to be a bit bitter I think.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Crazy1 said:
Red Rose pedals are especially sweet try some. :) Really. I love them is salads they taste good and add color and look good too. As you decrease in color you find they are not as sweet and sometimes white even tend to be a bit bitter I think.

Ah thanks. I only have pinks, but have lots of those. Maybe i'll give thor some :p

VaderWS6

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Surprisingly, my hatchling loves grass now! I fed it a pile of 3 different types today, every last bit of it gone! :cool:

M

Maggie Cummings

Yes, I meant actual rose petals, but Rose of Sharon blossoms are an especially nice treat, Bob loves them. Sorry I took so long to answer...but I see your question was answered promptly anyhow...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.