Am I taking good care of my sulcatas?

madbad

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, Ca
They are tiny bulldozers so its best if they can't even see that there is somewhere to bulldoze to. So some sort of sturdy sight guard will be needed.

Jaid10

USA
My mom is going to help me build a 10 by 15 foot cage for my birthday on Saturday. Then we will get the heating and other things taken care of so it will be perfect for my 6yo. I am going to keep the baby inside for now, accept the couple times a week I will let her out and watch her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
My mom is going to help me build a 10 by 15 foot cage for my birthday on Saturday. Then we will get the heating and other things taken care of so it will be perfect for my 6yo. I am going to keep the baby inside for now, accept the couple times a week I will let her out and watch her.
That's great!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I have three of those. But I bought them prior to learning about closed chambers. I only wish I had saved the lids so I could cut out holes for the light fixtures and have a nifty closed chamber.
Why don't you take a piece of wood and create a lid for them. You could then cut out better holes in the wood for the light fixtures. You could even make a box style lid with the wood and paint it white etc. As well as maybe attached some hinges to the wood and silicone them to the plastic (as I am not sure if you would be able to screw the hinges into the plastic very nicely) and then it will be easy to lift the lid up and down. Or use two of them to create one closed chamber. One for the lid and one for the bottom. you could then hang the lights etc in the top one. Just some idea's for you.

Jaid10

USA
First time in her new cage! We had to do 10 by 10 to make it easier to make a top. We need to move it and get it ready for her then she’ll move in!!!

Jaid10

USA
Anyone have any ideas on how to make a top for the 10 by 10 cage?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Can I feed her hay? The 6yo.

I would say yes. But to get her to eat it, I would chop it over the food, and over time, start adding more hay.

The new enclosure looks great! I’m not entirely sure how you would put a lid in it, though. Perhaps you could make something like a tent over it? Make a frame and drape tarps,heavy duty shower curtains, or something similar over it?
You could also just put in a heated night box, and make it humid inside. That way, you can lock her inside to sleep, and she can benefit from the humidity.
Everything looks great!