1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Ambient Temp Inside My House 95-105 Fahrenheit

Discussion in 'Advanced Tortoise Topics' started by Tank & Scooter, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Tank & Scooter

Tank & Scooter Active Member

We've been breaking heat records for a couple days nonstop now. Two days ago it was 117 Fahrenheit outside and 105 inside my house. I have 3 closed chambers and I have basking bulbs off but I wanna know how should I cool them off? Im currently giving them baths twice a day and spraying them every 30 min. All with room temp water.

Im worried becuase I've never had reptiles before. I have had my sulcatas for months now and take great care. But I've never had them in these extreme heat wave.

I spray them down with room temp water, basically almost warm water becuase it's so hot. But when I go to touch them, they feel cool to the touch.

That's what has me worried, they can't get cold or catch a cold if the house is 95 to 105 Fahrenheit and I spray them with room temp water? I feel worried becuase I have their basking lights off and they cool to the touch. Never had reptiles.

Also im going to buy another thermostat only for basking bulbs. I already have 3 thermostats controlling ceramic bulbs in 3 closed chambers. But im Gonna get a 4th to control basking all basking lights and set it to 95 degrees. Has anyone done this ?
    Bee62 likes this.
  2. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Greetings. Do you have an infrared type thermometer that you can use to shoot the actual temp of your tort’s carapace and enclosure?

I know it’s been hot all over...but are you saying it’s 105 inside of your house? That can’t be very comfortable.. no a/c?
  3. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

a point and shoot infrared temp gun is cheap and would help you a lot. it will let you know what the temp of their shells really is. I bet it's probably cooler in there then you think. Keep them hydrated and they should be fine.
    Jay Bagley likes this.
  4. Jay Bagley

Jay Bagley Well-Known Member

I start whining when it gets over 90, I can't even imagine. Hopefully it cools down for you a little bit soon.
  5. Toddrickfl1

Toddrickfl1 Well-Known Member

6. Dizisdalife

Dizisdalife Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

When I moved to San Diego from Illinois about 40 years ago I bought a house and had to ask "No AC?". I was told that I would not need it. And, for 6 years I didn't need it. Oh, there were a few days I would have used it, but we went to the beach instead. Still today there are many, many, homes along the coast that do not have AC. I am pretty sure that all of the homes built since the mid-90's have AC, and most of the homes that are inland, ten-plus miles from the coast, have AC (or need AC). Is that climate change? Maybe.
  7. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member

I think you should get a window box a/c unit - they easily cool rooms down to a comfortably range, are cheap, easy to install, have energy saving modes, etc. I know when i lived in Monterey, our house there didnt have a/c. I think it only got hot twice in two years...

Even though we have central air here, three years ago we put a window box in our master bedroom for $100 - makes it so comfy to sleep.

Good luck...
  8. Bee62

Bee62 Well-Known Member

Germany, Lower Saxony, Hardegsen, Ludwigshöhe
    Your tortoises will be fine with these temps. No reason to worry about them. Spraying them with room tempered water is a good way to give your torts a refreshment.
    A good hydration is all the need when it is very warm. This species is adapted to hot temps. I am more concerned about you living in such a heat. Please take care of yourself !:)
  9. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

I wouldn't worry about the tortoises. Open windows and use electric fans.
    Dizisdalife and Bee62 like this.