Amount of Light Hours after brumation importend??

everyday

Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Hello again everyone. I hope u had a good start of 2022! :)

I'm ending the brumation earlier for my turtles (like I said in my last post) I'm wondering if it is Important to slowly and steadily increase the hours of light I give them ?

For example should I give them after brumation only like 5 hours of light the first month and then increase it slowly?

Or can I directly give them 10 hours of LED and basking spot lamp?
I would run the uvb only for a few hours mid day.

They are currently in a box with the cold water. And I wait for there water to reach room temperature before I drop them in the tanks.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would not do 5 hours. The normal range a temperate turtle experiences in the farther northern ranges would be more in the 10 hours on / 14 hours off while coming out of and going into brumation. You could do that for about a month then go to 12/12 for another month. I use 14 on / 10 off after that to keep them active and growing well.

everyday

Europe
I would not do 5 hours. The normal range a temperate turtle experiences in the farther northern ranges would be more in the 10 hours on / 14 hours off while coming out of and going into brumation. You could do that for about a month then go to 12/12 for another month. I use 14 on / 10 off after that to keep them active and growing well.
Thank you! :) I will then start with 10 hours for one month and then go to 12/12

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I start with 8 hours for the first few days. I don't go up to full temperatures, but I do offer a warmer basking area. I add a few minutes each day and get back up to 12-13 hours within a month or so. I'm talking about tortoises, snakes and lizards, but I think the same would apply to any brumating reptile. @Markw84 has more experience, and more success, with turtles than anyone I know, so I think he'd be a great person to follow.