Amount of natural sunlight enough?

everyday

Location (City and/or State)
Europe
We keep some turtles outdoors from april to December. They brumate from mid October to end of December. Then we wake them slowly to live from Januar - End of March indoors. Before we put them outside again. We do this because our climate is not so perfect for north America species.

Do they require additional uv during the 3 months indoors?

Can we use additional uv ?

(We got some arcadia ho t5 tubes for free so that's why I'm asking. And we measure the output with a uv meter.)

Thank u in advance :)

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i do think providing them with UV is good for them , when i wake up any here i think it helps in bringing them out of hibernation mode ......... what kind of turtles ? i have turtles hibernate from mid october through early may , 6-7months without UV ........ i have R.P. manni that are outside late may through october , they do not hibernate , i have never provided uvb indoors for them ......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We keep some turtles outdoors from april to December. They brumate from mid October to end of December. Then we wake them slowly to live from Januar - End of March indoors. Before we put them outside again. We do this because our climate is not so perfect for north America species.

(We got some arcadia ho t5 tubes for free so that's why I'm asking. And we measure the output with a uv meter.)

Why wake them in January? I let my brumating animals go until spring. Usually March or April depending on the weather.

Yes you can use the artificial indoor UV sources. Won't hurt anything and all likely be of benefit.

We used to have a moderator here named Kristina. She lived in Cadilac Michigan. She kept her tortoises of all species outdoors from about April through October, and indoors the rest of the year. She used no indoor UV of any kind. Her tortoises thrived and did just fine that way. She produced hatchlings annually and never had a problem.

everyday

Europe
i do think providing them with UV is good for them , when i wake up any here i think it helps in bringing them out of hibernation mode ......... what kind of turtles ? i have turtles hibernate from mid october through early may , 6-7months without UV ........ i have R.P. manni that are outside late may through october , they do not hibernate , i have never provided uvb indoors for them ......
2 eastern painted turtles and 4 spotted turtles. My thinking was that u in America got way more sunshine hours than we do over here. So ur winters start later and end earlier. We got many days in September and October and march to may that are rainy and in the 10-15 °c range. So I thought that it would be better to give them more "summer time" maybe I'm stressing it to much?

everyday

Europe
Why wake them in January? I let my brumating animals go until spring. Usually March or April depending on the weather.

Yes you can use the artificial indoor UV sources. Won't hurt anything and all likely be of benefit.

We used to have a moderator here named Kristina. She lived in Cadilac Michigan. She kept her tortoises of all species outdoors from about April through October, and indoors the rest of the year. She used no indoor UV of any kind. Her tortoises thrived and did just fine that way. She produced hatchlings annually and never had a problem.
2 eastern painted turtles and 4 spotted turtles. My thinking was that u in America got way more sunshine hours than we do over here. So ur winters start later and end earlier. We got many days in September and October and march to may that are rainy and in the 10-15 °c range. So I thought that it would be better to give them more "summer time" maybe I'm stressing it to much??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
2 eastern painted turtles and 4 spotted turtles. My thinking was that u in America got way more sunshine hours than we do over here. So ur winters start later and end earlier. We got many days in September and October and march to may that are rainy and in the 10-15 °c range. So I thought that it would be better to give them more "summer time" maybe I'm stressing it to much??
I think the seasons in some parts of the range of those species is pretty similar to yours over in Europe. I don't think waking them so early does any harm, but I don't think its necessary or beneficial either. You saw Mark's time frame in post #3 above. I think that is pretty standard for these guys in the northern parts of their range.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

Where in Europe are you? That's a big area. That will affect my answer somewhat...

I think many in the US don't realize how far north most of Europe is. For example, Maine (in the most northern US) is even in latitude to N Italy. The middle of England is same latitude as the very Southern edge of Alaska and central Canada.

You are correct in being concerned about the amount of solar radiation available for turtles. I personally like your routine and I would offer artificial UVB for them. Although both species you keep have portions of their native range in the northern US - their range does not extend as far north as most of Europe.

everyday

Europe
Where in Europe are you? That's a big area. That will affect my answer somewhat...

I think many in the US don't realize how far north most of Europe is. For example, Maine (in the most northern US) is even in latitude to N Italy. The middle of England is same latitude as the very Southern edge of Alaska and central Canada.

You are correct in being concerned about the amount of solar radiation available for turtles. I personally like your routine and I would offer artificial UVB for them. Although both species you keep have portions of their native range in the northern US - their range does not extend as far north as most of Europe.
Thank you! I live in valmont, france to be exact :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thank you! I live in valmont, france to be exact :)
Northern France is about the latitude of the extreme northern edge of the spotted turtle and Western painted turtle natural ranges. They both do extend into Canada a bit. However, the spotted turtle has an extensive range that does extend to Florida. So no telling what population yours comes from.

But both species are among the most cold-hardy. You could leave them outdoors year-round, but they would probably brumate about 8 months of the year. If it were me, I would extend their awake time with me by bringing them indoors perhaps in early March. Once awake and eating, UVB would be a good idea.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
this is my average weather in ohio compared to yours in france , your weather seems more moderate than mine , not as cold , not as warm ... i'd guess as MarkW said the sun's radiation is not as strong ,your lack of cold is due to the gulf stream ....... i do provide basking spots with lights for my turtles outdoors in the fall and spring to help extend their season , i wean them off the extra heat before we get down to extended cold ......... i believe e. orbicularis is native far north of france , at northern canada latitudes ........

........ ohio ................... valmont , france
MonthHigh / Low(°F) ...... MonthHigh / Low(°F)

January33° / 17° .......... January46° / 38°

February36° / 18° .......... February47° / 37°

March47° / 27° ............... March52° / 40°

April60° / 37° ................. April57° / 44°

May70° / 47° ...................... May62° / 49°

June79° / 56° ................... June68° / 54°

July83° / 60° ............. July71° / 58°

August81° / 59°............ August70° / 58°

September74° / 52° ............ September67° / 54°

October62° / 41°.................. October60° / 50°

November50° / 32°................... November53° / 44°

December37° / 23° ..................... December47° / 39°