Amount to Feed a Small Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

aclesi11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
I'm just wondering, is there a risk of overfeeding my sulcata? I don't feed him a superabundance of food, but I still worry about overfeeding. Can baby sulcatas tell when to stop eating as they would in the wild, or is there a certain amount I should provide him with?

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I give my little one a mound of grass and leafy weeds (maybe double her size?).. She is pretty good about snacking through out the day. Plus she enjoys climbing it and digging in it as well! lol

aclesi11

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
yagyujubei said:
Why do you worry about overfeeding. Where do these ideas come from?

Some people have suggested online that "too much food" can cause them to grow too fast, resulting in pyramiding. I don't know how much truth there is in that, as i've heard most pyramiding issues are due to humidity and hydration.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
aclesi11 said:
yagyujubei said:

Some people have suggested online that "too much food" can cause them to grow too fast, resulting in pyramiding. I don't know how much truth there is in that, as i've heard most pyramiding issues are due to humidity and hydration.

yes, new research suggests that pyramiding is a result of little hydration and not enough humidity. over-feeding can cause issues, but the only time ive seen it become one (an issue) was if the tortoise wasnt receiving enough exercise.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
As mentioned, give enough food until there is just a little left over.
As it grows, it will eat more and the extra food will be gone. It will be time to feed it more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yagyujubei said:

For decades all the old books, vets who read these books, "experts" and breeders said this. They said that in the wild food was scarce and that these animals went with little or no food for some parts of the year, and that all the excess nutritious food we feed them in captivity every day was the reason for all the pyramiding. I, very unfortunately, tested this "expert" theory many times and found it to be 100% false. Thank god those days are behind me now, but the myth still persists.

aclesi,
Feed your tortoise as much as it wants, but feed it the right stuff, make sure it get lots of exercise in a large enclosure, make sure is get real sunshine in a safe enclosure at least a few times a week, make sure it gets enough calcium one way or another, and make sure it stays properly hydrated with soaks, humidity and humid hide boxes.

Here is a food thread I typed up:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

Status
Not open for further replies.