An AT&T rant

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Several years ago, I had AT&T for my phone carrier. My wife had something else.
On vacation, we went to the tops of mountains and to the center of deserts and everywhere we went. I had service and she didn't.
Fast forward. We now both have AT&T for phones, cable and internet.
The things that have always been disappointing and have never gotten better are that they give you a decent deal, then months later, your bill is twice as large because the deal has expired with no notice. But if you go back to the physical store, they make it right again. Not very professional. It's a true bait and switch.
Then there is the customer service situation. Not the people at the physical stores. The people you contact for assistance with an issue about your service.
We had a power surge. The modem seems to have died. I called the 1 800 number and was treated to a 2:00 am comedy show that I thought you may enjoy.
Someone in a faraway land answered the phone with a very heavy accent. She was quite friendly. But I simply could not understand her. And it did not help that there were chickens and a goat or a lamb in the same room. And they also had plenty to say.
Somehow, I managed to get her to replace my modem.
At least I think I did.
But this may be the beginning of the end if my relationship with AT&T.
The situation has become rediculous

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
VERIZON here in Maryland has pretty good service. We’ve had similar issues (modem goes down in a storm) etc but they get resolved. Our ”service plan” is now up for renewal, every time we call “Customer Service” we are quoted different rates, plans, costs. We HAVE had our modem for 10 plus years, now they want to start charging for monthly use. It’s all about $$$ - not service. It’s a bonus if it works!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
VERIZON here in Maryland has pretty good service. We’ve had similar issues (modem goes down in a storm) etc but they get resolved. Our ”service plan” is now up for renewal, every time we call “Customer Service” we are quoted different rates, plans, costs. We HAVE had our modem for 10 plus years, now they want to start charging for monthly use. It’s all about $$$ - not service. It’s a bonus if it works!

Buy your own modem/router. The ones these service provider give you to use are generally subpar and would often require routinely changing out.

Just be sure to get the latest DOCSIS version.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Buy your own modem/router. The ones these service provider give you to use are generally subpar and would often require routinely changing out.

Just be sure to get the latest DOCSIS version.
I second that! My router easily handles my wife’s daily workload and my silly internet surfing! I got rid of AT&T when the changed their tower location to better serve my neighborhood- so they could save money and I loose bars. Sprint has the best now but like most the plans are out of control

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I'm under the impression that the only mobile phone service that works reliably in areas where there are cows is Verizon. At least in Florida.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I left ATT a while ago. I used to have them for years and years, before cell phones. We switched to verison, not much better in my opinion. Thinking about switching to T-mobile. Seems people that have them stay with them.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Cell phones were very new when I was driving truck but traveling across the states Verizon had more coverage than any company

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Verizon is the only service that works across most of the Navajo nation. I used to work there and even with Verizon there is a lot of dead zones where you can’t get any service. There are no towers so that’s not a surprise. You are advised to get Verizon when you go to the rez if you don’t already have it.