An estimation on my tortoises age?

liwei

Location (City and/or State)
michigan
I have an awesome leopard tortoise named Tony that I got from Tortoise Town (Yeah I realized that I should've gotten a tortoise from a breeder instead, but now I know to only buy from reputable breeders from now on) and when I bought him/her they said that Tony was well started (around 6 months old) but browsing through old threads I'm suspecting that Tony's actually a lot younger than that...
I've attached pictures before and after, the first one is when I first got him/her back in July this year (weighing 32 grams, also ignore the stupid caption) and the second picture is from yesterday (weighing 84 grams)
I'll try emailing Tortoise Town but I wanted to hear from you guys on how old Tony might actually be.

Attachments

• IMG_5012.PNG
    IMG_5012.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5013.PNG
    IMG_5013.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5014.PNG
    IMG_5014.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 24

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When started in the typical dry way, they tend to grow very slowly. There is really no way to know.

I can't see it in the picture, but did he still have and egg tooth when you got him? They usually lose that by about six weeks. If he didn't, then he was likely over 6 weeks when you got him.

Your tortoise looks great and if he's made it to 84 grams, I'd say you are out of the woods, and that your tortoise will survive and be fine with your good care.

liwei

michigan
When started in the typical dry way, they tend to grow very slowly. There is really no way to know.

I can't see it in the picture, but did he still have and egg tooth when you got him? They usually lose that by about six weeks. If he didn't, then he was likely over 6 weeks when you got him.

Your tortoise looks great and if he's made it to 84 grams, I'd say you are out of the woods, and that your tortoise will survive and be fine with your good care.
I'm pretty positive he didn't have his egg tooth anymore when I got him, also thanks! it means a lot to have that assurance and I honestly couldn't have taken care of Tony as well if I didn't read your care sheet haha