An Exception To The Rule

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This evening one of my dogs came to the door, so I went to let him in, But he didn't want to come in, he kept going down the step and was acting like he wanted me to come back outside. so I did then he went about 15 feet away from the house and stopped, looked at me like aren't you coming. He was showing me a hatchling box turtle that was on his back. This is the 3rd one this fall that he has pointed out to me. here is a pic of the baby getting a soak Picture 1273.jpg and this is Rocket my turtle saver. Picture 1271.jpg He has always been protective of tortoises and turtles. Back when I had the adult male mep and mee torts it wasn't uncommon for one to get flipped over, when that happened he would bark until it was righted. He wont let squirrels, ground hogs, possums,rabbits or frogs stay in the yard. Snakes he hasn't figured out yet he keeps his distance but barks until it's gone or I go out. I have other dogs that leave the torts alone but Rocket actually looks after them.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Don't know what just happened with my post. But, here we go again. You've got a winner with Rocket! I think he's more about pleasing you. You think?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Rocket and his sister, Seven, are both great family members and spoiled beyond belief. Every day after dinner my wife gives each a piece of what we had. Seven even has a chair of her own with a cushion next to me at the table.She has great table manners, and has never tried to snitch food from the table. Then usually about 7 pm the dogs and cats gather in the kitchen for another snack of 3 small servings each of different things. The dogs then go outside for just a very short time because when they come back in they run to our bedroom for a store bought treat.that is the last treat of the day usually.They look different and Seven is getting heavier as they get older, they are almost 7 years old. Here's Seven and half of Kasey seven.jpg

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
This evening one of my dogs came to the door, so I went to let him in, But he didn't want to come in, he kept going down the step and was acting like he wanted me to come back outside. so I did then he went about 15 feet away from the house and stopped, looked at me like aren't you coming. He was showing me a hatchling box turtle that was on his back. This is the 3rd one this fall that he has pointed out to me. here is a pic of the baby getting a soak View attachment 189718 and this is Rocket my turtle saver. View attachment 189719 He has always been protective of tortoises and turtles. Back when I had the adult male mep and mee torts it wasn't uncommon for one to get flipped over, when that happened he would bark until it was righted. He wont let squirrels, ground hogs, possums,rabbits or frogs stay in the yard. Snakes he hasn't figured out yet he keeps his distance but barks until it's gone or I go out. I have other dogs that leave the torts alone but Rocket actually looks after them.
That's very cool

Greta16

Western Maine
This evening one of my dogs came to the door, so I went to let him in, But he didn't want to come in, he kept going down the step and was acting like he wanted me to come back outside. so I did then he went about 15 feet away from the house and stopped, looked at me like aren't you coming. He was showing me a hatchling box turtle that was on his back. This is the 3rd one this fall that he has pointed out to me. here is a pic of the baby getting a soak View attachment 189718 and this is Rocket my turtle saver. View attachment 189719 He has always been protective of tortoises and turtles. Back when I had the adult male mep and mee torts it wasn't uncommon for one to get flipped over, when that happened he would bark until it was righted. He wont let squirrels, ground hogs, possums,rabbits or frogs stay in the yard. Snakes he hasn't figured out yet he keeps his distance but barks until it's gone or I go out. I have other dogs that leave the torts alone but Rocket actually looks after them.
I know this is an old thread but, wow, that is amazing!

Len B

10 Year Member!
I haven't posted about Rocket and his turtle finding abilities for a while but he is still doing it. I was outside hand feeding Walker some cactus pads and when I finished Rocket got my attention and showed me a hatchling box turtle. I looked around for more but didn't find any, Guess I'll have to wait for Rocket to spot them if any more are in the yard. Rocket and baby box turtle.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He was a turtle in his past life....

Len B

10 Year Member!
Rocket is still finding baby easterns. He is my only dog at the moment all the others have passed. Everyday we go for a go for a golf cart ride around town and after the ride I walk him in a vacant lot next to mine that has recently sold. I expect the new owners start building on it soon. Knowing the possibility of hatchlings from my yard living there I have been looking for them so they don't get bulldozed and killed when the work starts. Today he insisted on going into some ivy and virginia creeper. I didn't have a camera so didn't get a pic of where it was found but here it is before I put it in the 16 x 24 ft pen.Picture 004 copy.jpgPicture 006 copy.jpgAnd here are a couple pics of my little turtle saver buddy from todayPicture 009.jpgPicture 011.jpgI'm getting another dog in a little over a week, Rocket needs a friend. I will post about it when I get. It's a breed that many people have never heard of.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The new baby was doing well in the other yard. Lots of new growth. What a good doggy!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
View attachment 303534I'm getting another dog in a little over a week, Rocket needs a friend. I will post about it when I get. It's a breed that many people have never heard of.

Oh, now you really got my curiosity going! How big will it get? Bred for any particular task? Long or short hair? ?

Salisbury
Awww that’s adorable! If my tortoise gets lost, my dog won’t rest until she finds him and knows he is safe!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Rocket came through again today, he sniffed out another youngster. This one closed up tight and stayed closed so I saw his shell. Picture 002.jpgPicture 004.jpg I set him in the pen and checked later and he had finally wandered offPicture 005.jpg I didn't have a camera again today when we found him so I went back to take a couple pics to show where they choose to live. The first pic is where today's find was and the second is where yesterdays was. They were about 40 feet apart.Picture 008.jpgPicture 009.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Rocket is awesome! Sorry to hear about Seven.
Rocket is and Seven was a big part of my life. They were brother and sister and as different as night and day. Rocket is really awesome, today on our walk after the golf cart ride he sniffed out 4 more little ones.Picture 004.jpgPicture 006.jpgI am going to raise one of these inside. The one on the right in the first pic and front left in the second pic.