An Exception To The Rule

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Rocket came through again today, he sniffed out another youngster. This one closed up tight and stayed closed so I saw his shell. View attachment 303586View attachment 303587 I set him in the pen and checked later and he had finally wandered offView attachment 303588 I didn't have a camera again today when we found him so I went back to take a couple pics to show where they choose to live. The first pic is where today's find was and the second is where yesterdays was. They were about 40 feet apart.View attachment 303589View attachment 303590
Those first two pictures are awesome examples of what a closed-up box turtle looks like. Its design is entirely geared for defense (no guns, no knives, no teeth). Small wonder that any turtle that can close up like THAT is so extraordinarily good at hiding. :)

I wish that were easier to convey to some of our members who would like recently acquired box turtles to be more visible and interactive.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Rocket has done good this week. Found 6 more since last postPicture 001.jpgPicture 003.jpgPicture 007.jpgPicture 005.jpg I didn't expect to find this many, I knew some were outside the back yard because every now and then I see them in the front yard and I just leave them there. Wednesday he sniffed 2 in the front yard that I hadn't seen before. One was in ivy under the cherry tree and the other was in the weeds near the moon plant. I just let them stay where they were. Also found a nest in the backyard that had 3 hatch out and they are out there somewhere.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd be afraid to walk outside, for fear of stepping on one.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I'd be afraid to walk outside, for fear of stepping on one.
I do step lightly and almost never wear hard sole shoes. And my lawn mower is set at the highest level. A couple weeks ago I did run over an adult male that I didn't see. No harm done but it bothered me that I didn't notice him setting there.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I do step lightly and almost never wear hard sole shoes. And my lawn mower is set at the highest level. A couple weeks ago I did run over an adult male that I didn't see. No harm done but it bothered me that I didn't notice him setting there.
When I was a kid we always had to be very careful with the lawnmower, even though then it was a push mower! It's a testament to how well their camoflauge really works.

I remember well...I was the one doing the pushing. Mowing was my chore, but I was too young to be allowed to use the powered one.

Len B

10 Year Member!
When I was a kid we always had to be very careful with the lawnmower, even though then it was a push mower! It's a testament to how well their camoflauge really works.

I remember well...I was the one doing the pushing. Mowing was my chore, but I was too young to be allowed to use the powered one.
I remember cutting grass with a lawn mower that didn't have a motor. After getting a motorized one, I made money cutting neighbors grass at 50 cents a yard.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
@Turtulas-Len I have re-read this thread over a few times since you initially posted it. I just think it’s such a cool gift that Rocket has. Has Rocket found any other turtles as winter is turning to spring?

Len B

10 Year Member!
@Turtulas-Len I have re-read this thread over a few times since you initially posted it. I just think it’s such a cool gift that Rocket has. Has Rocket found any other turtles as winter is turning to spring?
No, It's still to chilly for them to be active. Probably at least another month before I see any come out. My local water turtles are out and about during the daytime though.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I believe I may have another exceptional pup or 2. Back on Sept 27 Rachel brought me a hatchling box turtle unharmed.Picture 008.jpg Today she brought me another onePicture 002.jpgHere they are togetherPicture 004.jpgRachel on the left Abner on the right/Untitled-2.jpgThey're still young and act like knuckleheads sometimes but are very smart.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How lucky for you that she realized she shouldn't hurt it, and brought it to you!

Len B

10 Year Member!
How lucky for you that she realized she shouldn't hurt it, and brought it to you!
Yes I feel very lucky. I'm thinking it may be for real too. A couple hours ago she came running to me and had a third baby. It wasn't as graceful a transfer as the others, she dropped it on the run and it rolled on the concrete. It's fine and not injured though. Gave it a soak and put it with the others.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Yes I feel very lucky. I'm thinking it may be for real too. A couple hours ago she came running to me and had a third baby. It wasn't as graceful a transfer as the others, she dropped it on the run and it rolled on the concrete. It's fine and not injured though. Gave it a soak and put it with the others.
Obviously, you have to work with her on "gentle" presentation of her finds. That's just incredible to be blessed with not one but 2 dogs that can find turtles like that. Just awesome!!