an eye infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
I received a 4inch golden greek in overnight shipping and it seems to be sick during trip. It wont open hes eyes and doesnt move. Sometimes it opens eyes but i see some weird layer of clear white stuff blocking the eye. Is is a eye infection?

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WV
I would say yes and also I would take him to a vet ASAP because he may die. Good luck keep us updated ok.

Termite Farmer

5 Year Member
I've shipped lots and recieved lots and "It wont open hes eyes and doesnt move" isnt part of the shipping. Make sure you contact the sender ASAP. Just my 2.5 cents

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Termite Farmer said:
I've shipped lots and recieved lots and "It wont open hes eyes and doesnt move" isnt part of the shipping. Make sure you contact the sender ASAP. Just my 2.5 cents

I used zoo med eye drop to clean the eyes. I will contact the seller trrow .

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I second contacting the sender, sounds like they sent you a sick tort - very unfair to you and your new shelled friend.

Depending on what happens with the supplier, if you decide to keep it you should pick up some Terramycin opthalmic ointment. I don't know where you're located, but you can get it at most feed supply stores in the U.S. (tractor supply, blue seal, etc.) or on Amazon.

Good luck and sorry to hear the bad news! Contact that seller!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what were the temps during the travel?
i would give that poor baby a nice warm soak and then let it be. as long as it iw warm and not chilled.
and contact the seller ASAP..was it a breeder or private party?

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Laura said:
i would give that poor baby a nice warm soak and then let it be. as long as it iw warm and not chilled.

Breeder is a big party. Im not sure why it came with infections on eye.
For temporary I used zoo med eye drops, it seems to be working a little bit because its opening its eyes but still has weird looking layer of white stuff blocking the eye.

Redstrike said:
I second contacting the sender, sounds like they sent you a sick tort - very unfair to you and your new shelled friend.

Depending on what happens with the supplier, if you decide to keep it you should pick up some Terramycin opthalmic ointment. I don't know where you're located, but you can get it at most feed supply stores in the U.S. (tractor supply, blue seal, etc.) or on Amazon.

Thank you. is that for bacterial infection? I temporary used zoo med eye drops. Does zoo med eye drop work?

pk2610

5 Year Member
"its opening its eyes but still has weird looking layer of white stuff blocking the eye" - I remember seeing that on my baby's eyes and it looks like he opened his eyes but there was a thin layer on top of his eye. I don't know it was the eyes only or the overall health problem. I hope someone knows the answer.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
cyyoung749 said:
Laura said:

For temporary I used zoo med eye drops, it seems to be working a little bit because its opening its eyes but still has weird looking layer of white stuff blocking the eye.

Redstrike said:

Thank you. is that for bacterial infection? I temporary used zoo med eye drops. Does zoo med eye drop work?

Terramycin is for bacterial infections of the eye, yes. Those Zoo Med drops are likely not for medical treatment, rather preventative maintenance and conditioning of their eyes. If it's helping, great! I'd still recommend getting some Terramycin. If you can post a picture, that would help us assist you.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
cyyoung749 said:
Laura said:

Redstrike said:

I found that it also has runny nose. When i contacted the seller he said he may caught a flu..... I think he has flu and eye infection...
Terramycin is for bacterial infections of the eye, yes. Those Zoo Med drops are likely not for medical treatment, rather preventative maintenance and conditioning of their eyes. If it's helping, great! I'd still recommend getting some Terramycin. If you can post a picture, that would help us assist you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Overnight shipping is just that...overnight. From one day to the next, a tortoise doesn't develop the symptoms you are describing. And most of all, tortoises don't get the flu.

Your tortoise was shipped to you sick. You need to get it settled with the seller and get a healthy tortoise or your money back.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
emysemys said:
Overnight shipping is just that...overnight. From one day to the next, a tortoise doesn't develop the symptoms you are describing. And most of all, tortoises don't get the flu.

Your tortoise was shipped to you sick. You need to get it settled with the seller and get a healthy tortoise or your money back.

Yvonne has many years of experience and hundreds (right?) of tortoises, there's no doubt she's right about this. I would put up a serious stink with that seller. I think a good approach to these situations is to assert yourself calmly while maintaining a firm position. Don't use foul language or yell, it only makes them defensive. Simply assert yourself as calmly as you can and give good reasoning for why you're unhappy (this shouldn't be difficult).

Stress the points that Yvonne outlined above, and tell them of your dissatisfaction. The initial cost of buying a tortoise is great, remind the seller of this. Also mention the additional unexpected cost of caring for the sick tortoise and how it's not fair to you or the animal. Did you expect to make such an investment for a sick out-of-the-box animal, probably not!

Good luck, I would expect nothing less than a replacement or refund if it were me. The tough part is what to do with the current tortoise? Perhaps you can convince them to front your vet bill(s)? This could be an approach for them to level with you...?

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
emysemys said:

i just contacted my breeder and hes willing to refuned the money, but the problem is i dont wont to loose this tortoise. im doing my best to cure this one.

Redstrike said:
emysemys said:

Yvonne has many years of experience and hundreds (right?) of tortoises, there's no doubt she's right about this. I would put up a serious stink with that seller. I think a good approach to these situations is to assert yourself calmly while maintaining a firm position. Don't use foul language or yell, it only makes them defensive. Simply assert yourself as calmly as you can and give good reasoning for why you're unhappy (this shouldn't be difficult).

Stress the points that Yvonne outlined above, and tell them of your dissatisfaction. The initial cost of buying a tortoise is great, remind the seller of this. Also mention the additional unexpected cost of caring for the sick tortoise and how it's not fair to you or the animal. Did you expect to make such an investment for a sick out-of-the-box animal, probably not!

Good luck, I would expect nothing less than a replacement or refund if it were me. The tough part is what to do with the current tortoise? Perhaps you can convince them to front your vet bill(s)? This could be an approach for them to level with you...?

he will give me a refund. Thanks man

cyyoung749 said:
Redstrike said:
cyyoung749 said:
Laura said:

Redstrike said:

I found that it also has runny nose. When i contacted the seller he said he may caught a flu..... I think he has flu and eye infection...

i ordred Terramycin and it should be home tomorrow. does it still helps with eye problem, because i think he has serious flu, but also eye problem.im not sure its due to flu or just a infecion.

M

Maggie Cummings

Tortoises don't get the flu! He probably has an upper respiratory tract infection and he didn't get that in overnight shipping. That tortoise was sick before the shipper put him in the box. So you need to take him to the Vet and get the best care possible and make the breeder pay for it.
He needs to pay for all the care. In the mean time you can up the ambient temp in his habitat to about 90 degrees. Give him nice long warm soaks in terramycin powder also bought at feed stores or on line. Is he eating? Would you please post a picture???

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Poor thing (both u & tortoise). It's very irresponsible of the seller, shipping u a sick tortoise and causing all this grief. Similar thing happened to me, brought a three year old India star tortoise, I studied what is needed and setup her home. Ok for the first few days then got respiratory infection, took her to the vets and she has to be on antibiotics. Bump up the heat, frequent warm baths, antibiotics injection every 3 days. Giving her the injections were scary but now got used to it. After two weeks now, her condition hasn't improved. Taking her back to the vet, won't give up.

I wish you the best of luck, better if the seller can foot the vet's bills till ur tortoise fully recovers. Please be prepared they may reject as vets are more expensive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sammy:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Sammy said:
Poor thing (both u & tortoise). It's very irresponsible of the seller, shipping u a sick tortoise and causing all this grief. Similar thing happened to me, brought a three year old India star tortoise, I studied what is needed and setup her home. Ok for the first few days then got respiratory infection, took her to the vets and she has to be on antibiotics. Bump up the heat, frequent warm baths, antibiotics injection every 3 days. Giving her the injections were scary but now got used to it. After two weeks now, her condition hasn't improved. Taking her back to the vet, won't give up.

I wish you the best of luck, better if the seller can foot the vet's bills till ur tortoise fully recovers. Please be prepared they may reject as vets are more expensive.

vets are so expensive, specially in new york. i live next to manhattan, only vet near me. exaimnation fee is 85 dollars and they asked me 700 dollars for a week of care.... so expensive.

dav3

5 Year Member
Scotland
could be congjuntivitus ( dont know if i spelt tht write but oh well)

Status
Not open for further replies.