An Hour With Monstro (Photo Heavy)

Prairie Mom

@leopard777 ...below are 2 photos of Monstro's mom...Big M. The last shot is of Tomas with Bill, a 50 year old WC from Senegal and the main attraction at the AFRICAN CHELONIAN INSTITUTE. See how the armor on their front legs is so smooth...not at all 'spur'-like. I don't know if this is a Senegal trait...or have they worn down with age. I haven't seen any youngsters exhibit these...but who knows!

BIG M
View attachment 103373 View attachment 103374

Tomas with BILL
View attachment 103375

Wow! Monstro's mother! I am floored. What a cool post!

leopard777

5 Year Member
nice , the mom display very smooth front legs , but i prefer the protruding ones , guess thats what make them more unique .

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
That yawn sequence at the home page is FABULOUS!!! :) And the close ups are wonderful!!!

amber cox

Monstro is sooooooo cute , I am getting a tortoise in April 2015 have any of you guys got any tips on building a outdoor tortoise enclosure I am really stuck on how to do it and what to put in the enclosure and how to wash them

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Monstro is sooooooo cute , I am getting a tortoise in April 2015 have any of you guys got any tips on building a outdoor tortoise enclosure I am really stuck on how to do it and what to put in the enclosure and how to wash them
@amber cox Hi Amber...I've been doing this a lot lately...and everyone I've worked with seem to like it! Post a picture of the section of your property want you want to build the enclosure. I'll work on it a little and repost the picture (or a CAD)...with the necessary improvements! Also, show where there might be an electric source.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I use a NIKON D40X...I've beat this thing to death! Rain, snow, extreme heat, extreme cold...it's seen it all!

Nice, I'm doing my homework on Canon vs Nikon looking into getting a DSLR.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
You can do well with a mid-range NIKON...$600-1000! But the high-end CANONs are without equal...$2800-5000

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
DSC_0258.JPG Nothing like a cool dip in the middle of December. MONSTRO don't dig it much...but then, he wasn't fighting it much, either!

Last edited:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I stepped out for a bit and when I returned my wife (and kids) had moved Monstro into the house...our bonus room to be precise...rather ingenious of them I'd say! This is what I saw when I first entered the room! We measured and weighed him while we were at it...23" and 64 pounds!

DSC_0288.JPG