An Hour With Monstro (Photo Heavy)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
LOVE that last picture with all the grass hanging out of his mouth!:)
I just sowed that seed about two weeks ago! I've done my best to herd these guys away from it! As you can see...MONSTRO! uproots the whole thing!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
A request! A request! We have a request from @cassieopia She requested a shot of MONSTRO! Well...you get the bonus plan...a whole thread dedicated to him...also included is this shot of his immenseness with the largest of the 8s...enjoy! For the record...MONSTRO! (He'll be six years old in September) is carrying just under 60 pounds on a 22" x 13" frame! The 8 (two months old this Friday) is just under 2.75" and 81 grams!
DSC_0087.JPG

Last edited:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I checked on MONSTRO! an hour ago...fast asleep in his burrow! So, I set out some grub for the ITs...and BAM! Out of nowhere there was the beast himself...less than 10 minutes after I saw him asleep! I had to make an emergency pile for him...i.e. I scooped away most of the ITs' pile :p

DSC_0225.JPG

Then, after eating to his heart's content...off for a soak! Check out this series! I love when he tries to climb out...then let's loose a mighty splash! He did this a couple times...ENJOY!
DSC_0207.JPG
DSC_0198.JPG
DSC_0199.JPG
DSC_0201.JPG
DSC_0205.JPG
DSC_0204.JPG
DSC_0208.JPG
DSC_0209.JPG
DSC_0206.JPG

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
FABulous photos- as always!!!!
That stop-action of the splashes is waaaayyyy cool!!! :p

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
You saw MONSTRO!'s early morning yawn in MEDIA...here's what followed! A little grading a little excavating and back down into his burrow!
DSC_0020.JPG DSC_0026.JPG DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0028.JPG DSC_0029.JPG DSC_0030.JPG DSC_0031.JPG DSC_0032.JPG DSC_0033.JPG DSC_0034.JPG DSC_0035.JPG DSC_0036.JPG DSC_0037.JPG DSC_0037.JPG DSC_0038.JPG DSC_0039.JPG DSC_0040.JPG DSC_0041.JPG DSC_0042.JPG DSC_0043.JPG DSC_0044.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Camera arrived last night! Oddly, MONSTRO! was still out and about...so I knocked off a few of him! He's put on about an inch-and-a-half and 8 pounds in less than two months! He measures 23.5" 68 pounds and is a hair under 15" at his widest point! For those of you who need a comparison...he's going to be 6 years old in September!
IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0011.JPG

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I love these pictures, especially the open mouth shots and the one where he is wearing a radicchio hat.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
A few more moments and kind words of my new camera...it f**king rocks! I took these first three shots of MONSTRO! last night about 8:30...without a flash! The SL1 has a cool sensor built into the lenses thatenhance your subjects quite well! You be the judge!
IMG_0324[1].JPG IMG_0329[1].JPG IMG_0346[1].JPG

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Adorable! Do you wave food in order to get him to open his mouth? I can never get an open mouth shot because I'm too busy backing away!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Adorable! Do you wave food in order to get him to open his mouth? I can never get an open mouth shot because I'm too busy backing away!
OK...in my (way too many) years of photographing animals...I've learned their patterns of resting, stretching, yawning, etc...

I simply lay there until they yawn...which is about every ten minutes. So now you have my secret! How anti-climactic! Eh?!?!?

BTW...the new camera has a GREAT sport mode...these yawn segments were about 50 shots each. I usually post 'em in MEDIA but these are just examples

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
What camera are you using? My day job involves photographing cats, for which I use an old Nixon d3100 and a 50mm prime, but I just picked up a Sony a6000 and am looking forward to using it for tortoise photos. (Tortoise arriving TOMORROW!)

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
WHOA, great shots of MONSTRO ! Congrat's on your new camera. It makes you and Monstro look good.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
What camera are you using? My day job involves photographing cats, for which I use an old Nixon d3100 and a 50mm prime, but I just picked up a Sony a6000 and am looking forward to using it for tortoise photos. (Tortoise arriving TOMORROW!)
My wife got it off QVC...kinda spontaneous but what an outstanding camera for next to nothing...and it comes with the USM lenses...no jitter!

http://www.qvc.com/Canon-Rebel-SL1-...g.product.E227333.html?upsh=1&sc=E227333-CSWB

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
A few more moments and kind words of my new camera...it f**king rocks! I took these first three shots of MONSTRO! last night about 8:30...without a flash! The SL1 has a cool sensor built into the lenses thatenhance your subjects quite well! You be the judge!

Your pictures are great!

Thank you for sharing a his measurements, it is very helpful to compare in the near future the size on my sulcata.
I want to ask you about Monstro's hiding spot. Do you made it? And how do you control the temperature Or flood ? In which state do you live?do you even had him in a man made box?

Does he come out everyday ?

Thank you for your help