An Hour With Monstro (Photo Heavy)

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
I finally caught MONSTRO! outside his burrow...and now he's been coming in at night. I noticed that these calcium and lime deposits are ruining my photos! So today he got buffed and polished...tortoise style! A kiddie pool full of warm water, some vinegar, a scrub brush and a little elbow grease (an hour's worth)...and BAM! Good as new!
These first four shots are before shots!View attachment 260130 View attachment 260131 View attachment 260132 View attachment 260133
These shots are immediately after...a little dull but effective!
View attachment 260135 View attachment 260137 View attachment 260138

Then it dawns on me...perhaps a coat of coconut oil will help bring back a juvenile-like luster! First, a generous coat is applied. Five minutes later, a light buffing with a microfibre rag...lo and behold!
View attachment 260139
A little snack
View attachment 260140 View attachment 260141
Then just out'n'out boredom! We'll do a follow-up in a few days to see how it holds!
View attachment 260142
He sure is gorgeous!

TortSpeed

Miami, Fl
Monstro will be 5 years old in September! He's around 21" and close to 50 lbs...both are guesses as I've been busy placing the Sudans, rehabbing a GIANT cage (4x4x8...thanks again Tom) and, of course, spoiling the ITs. Maybe something more in depth on his birthday!

5 years and 50lbs?

I was told my tort is 15 years old and weighs no more than 30lbs... could it of been the enclosure?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
5 years and 50lbs?

I was told my tort is 15 years old and weighs no more than 30lbs... could it of been the enclosure?
Likely it's the diet! I feed more protein than most...not a ton...but more than most! He's now 9 years and 96 pounds! Yours could have been started the old-fashioned way...DRY! I'll look at some of your posts and see what's what!

TortSpeed

Miami, Fl
Thanks for the quick response. I’d appreciate your input... from what I’ve read it’s high fiber low protein... grainy/wet urates are becoming popular even with low protein and soaking... which the last owner never mentioned (prob half the problem)

Likely it's the diet! I feed more protein than most...not a ton...but more than most! He's now 9 years and 96 pounds! Yours could have been started the old-fashioned way...DRY! I'll look at some of your posts and see what's what!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Thanks for the quick response. I’d appreciate your input... from what I’ve read it’s high fiber low protein... grainy/wet urates are becoming popular even with low protein and soaking... which the last owner never mentioned (prob half the problem)
Probably more than half the problem...anyway I made a short response on your original thread!