An outstanding Sulcata up for adoption

yofo

Location (City and/or State)
in
Hi there folks, I posted in the intro section and promised some pictures so I am attempting to get that done today. This is my buddy Biggie. He is somewhere around 12 years old. I love this little guy so much, but I am a single man with so much on my plate that I just can’t give him the attention that is needed for a tortoise of his size. I’ve had him since he was a year old and it has been a wild ride. I suppose I don’t need to get into my whole spiel but rather I would like to get into how important it is for me to find Biggie a forever home. I have got to be honest, even though I am asking the community for help, I can’t just give him to a home where it’s not a great fit. I think most here understand just how big these guys get and how much up front effort is required to house them and take care of them. Just because I can’t keep him, doesn’t mean that in good conscious I would give him to someone who is under prepared for a big Tort who will only get bigger. Sorry if I am rambling but I’ve been sick a few days and I just woke up from a nap. I’ve taken pretty good care of this guy and I believe, as well as my vet, that he is a very healthy boy. I’ve followed a lot of guidelines and suggestions learned from this very site. He see’s plenty of sun in the non winter time, and gets what he needs in the winter time.He gets a variety of acceptable greens. He gets to graze a lot in the summers. He eats Mazuri Tortoise LS otherwise. Which a wet down for him. We live in the Northern Indianapolis area, and during winters he lives indoors in the house. My outdoor setup is a good size for him, but I never had the money, or mostly the time to build a really good warm enclosure. I don’t know if I will be able to find his new home thru this forum, but I know it’s the best place to start. I am open to any suggestions or great ideas into finding him that good home that he needs. So please, lay it on me, any ideas or anybody that has what it takes, I am open to all suggestions. I have so much going on in my life that I am panicked about it, and could really use some help from the community. Out of the many things going on in my life, I would like to spend more time with my grandma before she passes. If it wasn’t just me here, perhaps things would be different, but all of lifes problems have compounded for me. I need to do right by this little guy. Oh, he is 37 pounds. I can get a measurement if needed, but ya know, they get even bigger. Ok guys, how do I upload pictures? It denied my imgur link. Let me post this and try a fresh post for pictures

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I'm sorry you have to re-home your tortoise.

yofo

in
Yeah, I guess he should be more? Whats the average at that age.? He was in a smaller terrarium type setup when he was younger. Until he outgrew. Maybe in those initial early years I should have upgraded the size. If that is indeed a factor. But, plenty of solar light and sun, vitamins, correct food etc. He was given fogging misting time for the shell to not be pyramided. I think whatever slight pyramiding he did get was something that kinda got started in his first year or two. As you can see, it's really nothing. After the terrarium was too small he was free roaming. When I lived in my last place and second to last place, heating my living quarters was tuff. Those winters he was mostly sleeping it off. When he would wake up, he would get his food and nutrients and stuff.

yofo

in
I weighed Biggie. He is 44 lbs.
I have a question, and it's about zoos. I doubt they will take him, but the real question is, Is a zoo a good place for him? Any pros or cons to that? Looking for feedback. Is there any other avenues I should be exploring? Any suggestions?

Amylovestorts

Hendersonville, NC
Hi there folks, I posted in the intro section and promised some pictures so I am attempting to get that done today. This is my buddy Biggie. He is somewhere around 12 years old. I love this little guy so much, but I am a single man with so much on my plate that I just can’t give him the attention that is needed for a tortoise of his size. I’ve had him since he was a year old and it has been a wild ride. I suppose I don’t need to get into my whole spiel but rather I would like to get into how important it is for me to find Biggie a forever home. I have got to be honest, even though I am asking the community for help, I can’t just give him to a home where it’s not a great fit. I think most here understand just how big these guys get and how much up front effort is required to house them and take care of them. Just because I can’t keep him, doesn’t mean that in good conscious I would give him to someone who is under prepared for a big Tort who will only get bigger. Sorry if I am rambling but I’ve been sick a few days and I just woke up from a nap. I’ve taken pretty good care of this guy and I believe, as well as my vet, that he is a very healthy boy. I’ve followed a lot of guidelines and suggestions learned from this very site. He see’s plenty of sun in the non winter time, and gets what he needs in the winter time.He gets a variety of acceptable greens. He gets to graze a lot in the summers. He eats Mazuri Tortoise LS otherwise. Which a wet down for him. We live in the Northern Indianapolis area, and during winters he lives indoors in the house. My outdoor setup is a good size for him, but I never had the money, or mostly the time to build a really good warm enclosure. I don’t know if I will be able to find his new home thru this forum, but I know it’s the best place to start. I am open to any suggestions or great ideas into finding him that good home that he needs. So please, lay it on me, any ideas or anybody that has what it takes, I am open to all suggestions. I have so much going on in my life that I am panicked about it, and could really use some help from the community. Out of the many things going on in my life, I would like to spend more time with my grandma before she passes. If it wasn’t just me here, perhaps things would be different, but all of lifes problems have compounded for me. I need to do right by this little guy. Oh, he is 37 pounds. I can get a measurement if needed, but ya know, they get even bigger. Ok guys, how do I upload pictures? It denied my imgur link. Let me post this and try a fresh post for pictures
I am in North Carolina and have been interested in adopting a tortoise for quite a long time. I have an excellent outdoor enclosure. If he is still available let me know. Thank you

yofo

in
I was just getting on to let everyone know that he was given earps.org Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary. They vet adoption candidates and take care of them in the meantime. All volunteer based. Just got done taking him there. I feel sad. Sorry it didn't line up. North Carolina is beautifal state and great climate. Go to earps.org if you want to try that route.
I left detailed notes for the next owner, and specifically wrote that this site is top notch for learning about tortoise care. Thank you all for your help.