... and cr*p we are a rehab/rescue somehow

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsboro, NC
We sit on just under 9 acres, behind my house I've been building out a turtle yard and turtlefor our 50ish asian box turtles and tortoises. The other weekend I was moving water storage tanks with my tractor and almost ran over this EBT. I dont see many these days, ive only seen one on my property in the last year, a much more colorful female. Seems the dull ones however are more common here.

Picked it up to move it 3 ft so i can pass through my narrow trail with the tractor and I realize how light weight he is, and spot a bit of blood on my hand.

I've picked up a lot of EBTs from the roads and herping, this one weighs less than any similarly sized one, and its getting cold. Head wound looks fully healed, and so does the plasteron but it appears to have reopended, and was actively bleeding.

I contacted NCWildlife to figure out where to take it (legal concerns), and their response after I explained where I found it "if you want to rehab it we will issue you a license".

So now we have an EBT until spring, he will be the sole occupant of the new turtle building for the winter to gain weight, and I'll be building a release pen this winter for a slow release. My wife is thrilled at the prospect of doing turtle native turtles (she really wants diamond back terrapins, which are difficult to legally have here, rehabbing is one way to do so).

It is an odd turtle however. It will follow anyone if it can see them over the edge of it's enclosure (walls are not see through), it doesnt box up when picked up, and it will run to you and snatch food from your hand as you fill it's dish. It seems to recognize humans, it is less shy than any turtle I have here (I dont handle nor interact with mine).

This leads me to wonder if its yet another dumped "pet', did someone pick this up for a year or two then release it? We live next to a nature preserve, released animals are common. Cats, dogs, goats, red foot tortoises... all found in the last year and a half of us being here.

Anyhow, we are awaiting on rehab license in the mail, have provisional permission from the state and a new adventure starts.

Attachments

• PXL_20221008_174931693 (1).jpg
    PXL_20221008_174931693 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20221008_174926723 (1).jpg
    PXL_20221008_174926723 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20221008_174921352 (1).jpg
    PXL_20221008_174921352 (1).jpg
    1,006 KB · Views: 14

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Wow! Almost 10 acres & 50 Asian Box Turtles. Nice.
I've been making up for having to get rid of some many many decades ago...

I've got all of the aquatic Cuora, except trifasciata and for terrestrials i have mccordi and flavos. Also have burmese stars and radiata.

... I'm going to put a bar in the turtle yard ... so I can have a beer with them ... lol

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
And just like that, a cool new adventure...being a Rehabber<LOL>!

Very cool that you took this guy in, with his "empty shell" weight issues, he probably wouldn't have made it so good on you guys!!

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
And just like that, a cool new adventure...being a Rehabber<LOL>!

Very cool that you took this guy in, with his "empty shell" weight issues, he probably wouldn't have made it so good on you guys!!
No, NC Wildlife determined he wouldnt make it, and not wanting native species, i wouldnt have taken it in if i thought it could.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad you seen it and know just by feel that iys not right. The blood just a second hint.
Don't know how much you really want to rehab but you could let local rescues and the DNR know you're willing to take in any turtle or tortoise that needs rehabbing.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
So glad you seen it and know just by feel that iys not right. The blood just a second hint.
Don't know how much you really want to rehab but you could let local rescues and the DNR know you're willing to take in any turtle or tortoise that needs rehabbing.
I'm quite familiar with acclimating and treating WC animals, ive (unfortunately) done a lot of them (long long ago before i had grey hair I used to import a lot of animals, not something i do anymore nor support these days).

Our 'DNR' is NCWildlife, it was actually them that suggested we rehab it, and they bent the rules to allow us to keep it until our licensing is done. I had been in contact with the person that does the licenses, as i was seeking other licensing.

I wouldn't trust 99% of reptile rehab/rescue here. The rehab license is easy to get, and i see so many "we take any reptile in" then i see them offering them for sale on other platforms ...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sure you're right about this being someone's released pet. And the fact that it's a lightweight only reaffirms the fact that released pets don't do well when released. They're used to having people provide them food and don't really know how to hunt (unless they just happen across prey in their wanderings). Sounds like this (being a rescue/rehab) was meant to be!!

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I'm sure you're right about this being someone's released pet. And the fact that it's a lightweight only reaffirms the fact that released pets don't do well when released. They're used to having people provide them food and don't really know how to hunt (unless they just happen across prey in their wanderings). Sounds like this (being a rescue/rehab) was meant to be!!
Considering the heft of other turtles I've found on or around my property, combined with his appetite (especially motion worms and raspberries) I'm almost certain of it. He seems to ignore the native appropriate foods, yet he enjoys the non native diets I give my turtles. I'm thinkibg it might just be unfamiliar with the native diet.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Considering the heft of other turtles I've found on or around my property, combined with his appetite (especially motion worms and raspberries) I'm almost certain of it. He seems to ignore the native appropriate foods, yet he enjoys the non native diets I give my turtles. I'm thinkibg it might just be unfamiliar with the native diet.

Do you think he can survive in the wild on his own even after rehab?

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Do you think he can survive in the wild on his own even after rehab?
I dont know, and I don't legally have a choice in that matter it seems, I have a year with him. I can apply for longer but i dont think ill be able to justify that.

Plan is to plump him up, move him to a 'wild' pen, keep him wild where he can be monitored, then open one side of the pen at the one year mark.

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
I dont know, and I don't legally have a choice in that matter it seems, I have a year with him. I can apply for longer but i dont think ill be able to justify that.

Plan is to plump him up, move him to a 'wild' pen, keep him wild where he can be monitored, then open one side of the pen at the one year mark.
If your DNR is like mine here in Indiana, they’ll hopefully take your recommendation when determining if it can be released. I run a rescue/sanctuary and get lots of confiscation turtles through the DNR. We try to release all that as can(lord knows I don’t need any more) but sometimes it’s not in their best interest to be released.
Great work and keep us updated!