And I forgot my camera :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
60 miles south of Chicago
So, I fed Stagger his very first dubia roach nymph last night.
I keep a blaptica dubia roach colony to feed to my geckos.
But I HATEHATEHATEHATE bugs. But they're SOOOO good for reptiles.

Anyway, I cut the bottom of a gladware container so that the lip was only about 1/4" high, and it's big enough to place stagger in and a roach.
The roach was very small, and these roaches cannot climb smooth surfaces.

WELL.

I forgot my camera, and it was the CUTEST THING EVER to watch him with this roach.

Stagger spooks easily from live food, so his first reaction (as I knew it would be) was to suck into his shell as soon as he saw the roach wiggle.
I had placed the roach (with my food grippers because I won't touch them!) on its back.

Once Stagger braved up enough to head butt it a couple times, he went in for it. But the legs were wiggling and tickling his face, so he rubbed his face with his arms, and backed off.
Finally, he went in for it, and...well, when these roaches are on their backs, they'll use ANYTHING to right themselves. So, the roach grabbed onto Stagger's face, and was sitting on his face for like a minute.

I FINALLY had to grab the roach with the grippers and hold it for Stagger.
Stag took a bite out of the rear of the roach, the gooey roach insides burst out, and was stringing from the grippers to Stag's face, and he just nommed away at the roach until he ate it all.

It was the grossest, yet cutest thing EVER.

And roaches should be pretty good for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG! What a descriptive narrative!! I can see it.

And isn't that just always the way? I never have my camera handy when I see cute stuff either. Yesterday Chewy's brother was on top of his half-log hide and he had his front legs on the lip of the habitat. If I hadn't happened by at that moment, he would be an escapee! But the look on his face when I caught him in the act was priceless! Needless to say, there is now a cover over the habitat in that spot.

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Chewbecca...what is your name anyway....well that was too much info for me. I almost threw up. lol But I do wish you had that camera.

Yvonne...can you post a picture of Chewy's brother? Does he have those eyes???
006-19.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I kind of thought so...but wasn't sure. Thanks.. I have a little Chewy too...the one with the BIG eyes...lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
terryo said:
Chewbecca...what is your name anyway....well that was too much info for me. I almost threw up. lol But I do wish you had that camera.

Yvonne...can you post a picture of Chewy's brother? Does he have those eyes???
006-19.jpg

This is the best I could do on such short notice. I'll keep watching and try to get a better one.

chewysbrothe.jpg

Yvonne

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Hey Chewbecca... When you listed your Leopard geckos you have four numbers just wondering, why the fourth?... WAY OFF TOPIC. I love bugs and love tweezer feeding my lizard. I even used to play jokes on people when I was younger with madagascar hissing cockroaches. I think I would actually love having an omniverous turtle.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
reptylefreek said:
Hey Chewbecca... When you listed your Leopard geckos you have four numbers just wondering, why the fourth?... WAY OFF TOPIC. I love bugs and love tweezer feeding my lizard. I even used to play jokes on people when I was younger with madagascar hissing cockroaches. I think I would actually love having an omniverous turtle.

I need to update my signature, badly.
The fourth number stands for how many eggs.
It goes: males, females, unsexed, eggs.

Putting bugs on people is a very, very, very cruel joke.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's not just you...they could be sisters!! :D

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Chewbecca said:
So, I fed Stagger his very first dubia roach nymph last night.
I keep a blaptica dubia roach colony to feed to my geckos.
But I HATEHATEHATEHATE bugs. But they're SOOOO good for reptiles.

Anyway, I cut the bottom of a gladware container so that the lip was only about 1/4" high, and it's big enough to place stagger in and a roach.
The roach was very small, and these roaches cannot climb smooth surfaces.

WELL.

I forgot my camera, and it was the CUTEST THING EVER to watch him with this roach.

Stagger spooks easily from live food, so his first reaction (as I knew it would be) was to suck into his shell as soon as he saw the roach wiggle.
I had placed the roach (with my food grippers because I won't touch them!) on its back.

Once Stagger braved up enough to head butt it a couple times, he went in for it. But the legs were wiggling and tickling his face, so he rubbed his face with his arms, and backed off.
Finally, he went in for it, and...well, when these roaches are on their backs, they'll use ANYTHING to right themselves. So, the roach grabbed onto Stagger's face, and was sitting on his face for like a minute.

I FINALLY had to grab the roach with the grippers and hold it for Stagger.
Stag took a bite out of the rear of the roach, the gooey roach insides burst out, and was stringing from the grippers to Stag's face, and he just nommed away at the roach until he ate it all.

It was the grossest, yet cutest thing EVER.

And roaches should be pretty good for them.

I think your telling us about it, captured the moment better then a picture could have. :D I hate the bugs too, but having reptiles has made me get over that....wellllllll at least a small amount. :D Superworms still scare me a little and remind me of the Star Trek episode.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
So how about a reenactment? Seems like it would be worth a little work to set up a video camera and then capture our little charismatic Stagger Lee in the act of consuming a cockroach!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
No offense to anyone, but I can't stand to hear about live things being trapped and fed to tortoises. Maybe we can not be so graphic about how we write things, to me I think that is mean.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Candy said:
No offense to anyone, but I can't stand to hear about live things being trapped and fed to tortoises. Maybe we can not be so graphic about how we write things, to me I think that is mean.

Is that what you think?

I HIGHLY doubt this is the case since you feed worms to your tortoise, don't you?

Nice try, Candy.

Don't compare my story about feeding roaches to my redfoot with how you kept making a joke at my expense, or wait, you didn't make the joke, but you sure didn't have a problem keeping it going.

And, yeah, THAT is mean. A redfoot eating roaches? That's nature.
And if you really don't like the graphic nature of how I feed my redfoot a roach, then perhaps you should stay out of my thread?

But I highly doubt that it offends you.

Why don't you act your age?

Sorry if I called you out on a joke that was made, when the joke originally was made in a thread that madkins started when I commented about feeding Stagger fruit and how I'd gut it for him since he's 2 1/2" and I didn't see him being able to bite through the thick rind of a piece of fruit.
Madkins came back and made a joke about a waiter in the wild cutting up their fruit.
OK, so it was a cute joke.
But when you came back and said, "OH HAHAHAHAHAHA. THAT WAS SO FUNNY MADKINS. I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING. BAHAHAHAHA."

I don't know if you're kissing madkins rear (and that's TOTALLY your business if you are), or if you are intentionally trying be a complete jerkface to ME at MY expense.

Whichever it is, let's air it, Candy.
Because, honestly, I'm an adult, and I don't care for this garbage.
If you've got a problem with me, tell me (though, I have NO IDEA why you would, because you don't know me, AND for christsakes, it's the internet), if you think that madkins' joke was funny, and you're just agreeing with him and you think I'm some idiot for cutting up my tort's food, then air it now.

Because I said DIRECTLY that I felt the joke was getting mean.
THAT was my problem.

NOW you're in MY thread stating some stupid junk about thinking that me trapping roaches for my tortoise is mean.
When, everyone who reads this and who knows you here, KNOWS you don't think that, you're just being a crazy woman who's ticked off about something.

GOD. GROW UP.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Let me start off by trying to answer you in a dignified way. No I do not, nor would I EVER own something for my own entertainment that required me to feed it live (trapped) food. To me that is not natural at all. To me it is mean and cruel. To me all animals are Gods creatures and whatever is caught in the wild is nature, but there is nothing natural about you holding a roach with tweezers for your tortoise. If you had read any of my other threads before stating that I must be joking about feeding Dale (live food) you would have known if Dale is outside and he catches something himself that would be nature and O.K. by me, but would I trap something inside of a tank (that had no means of escaping), no I would not. I realize that some people do this, but I don't believe in it. That's why I feed Dale other forms of protein. As for growing up I think I already have thank you, now it's your turn. As for commenting on any more of your threads I don't think I would want to get you all worked up again so don't worry it won't be happening. As for Madkins if you think that I'm kissing his whatever so be it. That's your opinion and your welcomed to it. ;) Just one more thing before I go.... you need to get over the waiter comment it was not meant to be mean to you, you just took it that way. Two people already tried to tell you that, but I guess because you already have issues with it you didn't take it at face value. And as for posting on peoples threads, well that's what people do on this forum is post on peoples threads. Maybe you should have read the page before you signed to register. Just by chance any of the moderators read this I hope you know I tried my best to keep it clean and I actually think I did a pretty good job at it. :D You won't have to worry there's nothing more to be said on here anyway.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
Can tell how much people love their tortoises by how the tempers flare regarding their care...

Hey! That rhymes!

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
HAHAHAHA. You are so full of crap, it's hilarious.

Whatever, Candy.
Ok, so let's say you didn't mean ANY type of snide-anything in regards to your comment in this thread about me trapping roaches being mean, then honestly, WHY would you come into my thread and feel it necessary make that statement when it was RIGHT AFTER I just got done, in another thread, saying that the joke was mean.

Wait, wait, wait!
I know he answer!!
Because you meant to be, yet again, MEAN.

And just because I'm calling you out on being mean, doesn't mean I need to grow up.
So, please, try to refrain from throwing my words back at me.

Look, you know what you did was mean, but whatever.

You continue to be nasty, joke at others' expense, that's just fine.
And the others that told me you didn't mean to at all mean by that joke, didn't see that you had already made that joke once before.

And, really, if you didn't mean to be mean, then here you go, Candy:
I don't care what or how you feed your tortoise. And I don't comment on it.
Why should you care what or how I feed MY tortoise?

Oh! And I'm not all that worked up.
I think it's funny that you're full of crap, but you'll never admit, and I KNEW you'd make it seem like I was blowing the whole joke out of proportion.

But, you know, that is so what mean people do.

Candy said:
Let me start off by trying to answer you in a dignified way. No I do not, nor would I EVER own something for my own entertainment that required me to feed it live (trapped) food. To me that is not natural at all. To me it is mean and cruel. To me all animals are Gods creatures and whatever is caught in the wild is nature, but there is nothing natural about you holding a roach with tweezers for your tortoise. If you had read any of my other threads before stating that I must be joking about feeding Dale (live food) you would have known if Dale is outside and he catches something himself that would be nature and O.K. by me, but would I trap something inside of a tank (that had no means of escaping), no I would not. I realize that some people do this, but I don't believe in it. That's why I feed Dale other forms of protein. As for growing up I think I already have thank you, now it's your turn. As for commenting on any more of your threads I don't think I would want to get you all worked up again so don't worry it won't be happening. As for Madkins if you think that I'm kissing his whatever so be it. That's your opinion and your welcomed to it. ;) Just one more thing before I go.... you need to get over the waiter comment it was not meant to be mean to you, you just took it that way. Two people already tried to tell you that, but I guess because you already have issues with it you didn't take it at face value. And as for posting on peoples threads, well that's what people do on this forum is post on peoples threads. Maybe you should have read the page before you signed to register. Just by chance any of the moderators read this I hope you know I tried my best to keep it clean and I actually think I did a pretty good job at it. :D You won't have to worry there's nothing more to be said on here anyway.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you want me to close this thread, I will, otherwise, you two need to take this to the PM part of the forum. None of us are interested in listening to you two fight.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.