and so, it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
One of the reasons I removed my turtles from their quazi-hibernation, was my hopes of extending their laying season. Last week, one of my females dug what looked like a test hole, and last night VOILA, 4 eggs. She layed one clutch last year (in June)but I think there is a good chance now, that she will lay again.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Here she is starting to dig:
000_1418.jpg

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Wow, super early! I bet she'll multiple-clutch this year. She sure looks healthy there. How many did she lay?

I'm in "sunny California" but almost all mine are still hibernating, and the two that are up probably won't start feeding for another week or so.

Steve

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
She's in a laying trance. Right after I took the pic, another female decided that the partially excavated hole looked good to bury herself in. She dug under the laying one, and more or less evicted her. When I saw what happened, I removed the offender, fixed the hole a bit, and put the digger right back. She continued to dig like nothing happened. Whew!
turtlemann2 said:
she sure looks determaned :)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
LOL when my ttbt penelope was digging her test hole she would tend to abandon them after she hit the bottom of the table i was able to actually dig her another hole in a deeper spot, pick her up and put her on that hole, that was finally the time she laid :)

ive always heard that you need to really leave them alone and that if you disturb them they will quit laying, but it appears this isnt exactly always true :) im glad she laid for you shes a looker :)

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
i had a upset of excitement today....i saw a hole dug in the substrate and stuck my hand in to investigate..thought i felt and egg...got excited...brushed it away and it was a rock!...sad....i need a male ttbt!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
turtlemann2 said:

well if you come across any male ttbt in your area..let me know..saw a Seattle posting for 1 male 2 females all for $50. but i cant reach the guy thru email..would have been a great deal!...

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
yagyujubei said:
Here she is starting to dig:
000_1418.jpg

You should take pictures of her by herself more often. She really is a stunning female eastern! With the other two "sisters" in the picture they make her look plain in comparison.

Your really nice juveniles are from her, right?

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i agree, you know how when you look at trophy deer, you have typical and non typical i think she is a beautiful typical (in regards to pattern) female :), where are your other two would be considered "non typical"

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I really like your typical/non-typical analogy. It fits perfectly.Now if I can just find a "double drop tine" eastern!
turtlemann2 said:
i agree, you know how when you look at trophy deer, you have typical and non typical i think she is a beautiful typical (in regards to pattern) female :), where are your other two would be considered "non typical"

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
jojodesca said:
i had a upset of excitement today....i saw a hole dug in the substrate and stuck my hand in to investigate..thought i felt and egg...got excited...brushed it away and it was a rock!...sad....i need a male ttbt!

haha i can just see it now !! that would be amazing though :)

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
pryncesssc said:
jojodesca said:

haha i can just see it now !! that would be amazing though :)

There used to be a small round white quartz rock laying in my box turtle pen. About 40 times last summer, I would notice it and get that little surge of adrenaline, thinking "loose egg"!

I finally realized I was not smart enough to remember that the white rock was always there, and removed it.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Yeah it was sorta exciting, but then panic when I realized if it was an egg id have to incubate..then disappointment but also relief...it's a jumbled mess of feelings....:rolleyes::D....

Status
Not open for further replies.