1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! The 2018 Tortoise Forum Calendar is here! Click here to pre-order! Proceeds go directly to keeping TFO online and FREE for all to use! Thank you for your support!

And the Winner is.... 2018 Calendar Contest Results

Discussion in 'Tortoise Forum Contests' started by jaizei, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Franco F

Franco F Active Member TFO Supporter

Wow these are all excellent photos! Anyone have any advice on tortoise photography? My photos never come out great, and I always avoid flash photography because I'm not sure if it will damage my tortoise's vision
    Gillian Moore and Kristoff like this.
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

The flash won't be a problem for the tortoises. Just keep practicing. Try to hold the camera very still, and be patient, waiting for just the right pose.
    PJay likes this.
  3. Will

Will Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    @Team Gomberg I like that leo image a great deal, you get to see it like two first views, the shell, and then the tortoise looking back at you like a women saying "hey, my face is up here! don't stare at my shell." All around beauty.
  4. Big Charlie

Big Charlie Well-Known Member

For me, my photos come out much better outdoors, which isn't a problem with Charlie since he lives outside. Pay attention to lighting and shadows. If the sun is out, you want it at your back. I get the best pictures when it is slightly overcast but still bright out. Then there are fewer shadows. Also, I think it helps to get down at your tort's level.
  5. Franco F

Thank you! All of my photos have been indoors, and that's probably why they're so bad. My tortoise is only a 7-month-old hatchling, so I decided not to take him outside this year. Maybe next year I will when he's bigger.
    Big Charlie likes this.
  6. Franco F

Thanks! I was never sure whether or not it would harm them. Glad to know
    Kristoff likes this.
  7. Kristoff

Kristoff Well-Known Member

An average flash makes almost any photo look unnatural, so kudos for not using it. (Don’t know about it causing any damage, but if Yvonne says it doesn’t, then it’s probably true. Still, it could cause discomfort, and even without any lasting impact, one could argue about the ethics of using flash on an animal... or a baby, for that matter.)

The rest would depend on what you use to take pictures and the type of light.
    Tidgy's Dad and Gillian Moore like this.
  8. Team Gomberg

Team Gomberg IXOYE 5 Year Member

When do the winners get to order from Tortoise Supply? Levi wants some mazuri! ;) :tort:
    Oxalis and Big Charlie like this.
  9. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

You can contact Tyler and see if he's been given the winners' names yet. If he has, you can order.

All the rest of you: Don't forget to order your calendars! Don't miss out. Only a fixed number of them will be available, so don't wait until the last minute to get yours!

https://tortoiseforum.org/pages/store/
    Oxalis, Tidgy's Dad and Team Gomberg like this.
  10. Oxalis

Oxalis Well-Known Member

I love all the photos this year; I don't think I could even choose a favorite!! Not only did I pass up another year to enter, I completely forgot to vote. :confused: It's been a busy year. Great job to all who entered as well as those on the admin/management side! :)
  11. Josh

Josh Ask questions, share answers, talk torts! TFO Admin 10 Year Member!

ATTENTION ALL WINNERS: To claim your prize you'll need to create an account on TortoiseSupply.com. Once you have, email tortoisesupply@gmail.com with your TFO username and they will automatically credit your account!
    Team Gomberg and Tidgy's Dad like this.
  12. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    Far too complicated! ;)
    Thank you, Josh.
  13. Lesley Pommarane

Lesley Pommarane New Member

They are all so beautiful! My now 14 yr old son begged & begged for 6 mo for a Sulcata, so I finally gave in & got him a baby one. That was about 14 mo ago & of course he’s now lost interest, so she is my responsibility. At first, I saw taking care of her as a burden. But, after a few months, I am glad she’s mine instead of his! I throughly enjoy her, she brings a big smile to my face when I think about her. And she is not as much work as I thought she would be.