Animal Plastics Enclosure Stand

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange, CA
Hello. For those of you with an AP enclosure or similar, what do you use for a stand? I was thinking of trying to DIY one out of wood or black pipe for a more industrial look, but was wondering if there was a source I might be overlooking.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I have the same question. I should be no more than a couple weeks out for mine. Haven’t decided what to mount them on yet. I was thinking a home made 4x4 stand with wheels. I’m mechanically inclined but I suck at building things out of wood. I get so mad.

daniellenc

Maryland
Same dilemma so I got casters for now and will figure it out at some point. My RHP’s were just shipped so hopefully August his big boy home will be here!!

Erik Elvis

Delaware
What size RHP’s did you get. I got 2 of the 80 watt ones for each cage.

And I still have to decide where to put them (I have 3 of the 8ftx3ft ones coming. I’m thinking of putting them in the dining room I never use. My girlfriend wouldn’t be happy but I feel that if I put them in the basement their care will suffer. Plus it makes it more difficult to clean out bowls and such as there is no running water down there.

daniellenc

Maryland
I went with pro products and got two different models but don’t know the wattage. I also don’t know where to mount because I’ve read different opinions on top and side mounting. It’s a 24 inch 8x3 with 6 inch litter dam. You bought three???? Ouch!! I almost cried spending $1,300 with shipping, and another $260 on the RHP’s. Still gotta buy new UV, terra-cotta saucers, substrate bulk, and bigger Rubbermaid totes. But 3?? I’d feint! Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I make my stands out of ply wood, 2x4s and 4x4s. I also put wheels on my stands so I can roll them out to service all the electrical stuff in the back.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Yeah well one turned into 2 after a couple months. Then a couple weeks ago I called to check on the status of mine aaaaand decided to order another. I’m going to be mounting the RHP’s on then ceiling along with a couple t5 uv bulbs and some 6500k led strip lights. Substrate is a problem. I initially bought a ton of zoo med repti bark for a 3x6 cage I built. But that was a waste of time and money as I opted for a ap cage instead. I figure with the repti bark I bought it should do about 1.5 cages. I opted for a 5” litter damn. Did you get incandescent fixtures? I got one on each side about 18” from the side. Wondering if I should put them a little further out than that.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I make my stands out of ply wood, 2x4s and 4x4s. I also put wheels on my stands so I can roll them out to service all the electrical stuff in the back.
Do you do a full 8ft of plywood underneath them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you do a full 8ft of plywood underneath them?
I make the ply wood the same size as the bottom of the enclosure and then do a 2x4 frame under it. I put a crossbar 2x4 every 24" underneath. On my big 8x3' ones, I used 4x4s under the plywood. I have 4' and 6' versions in transit now. Shipped last week. Might be here tomorrow.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I make the ply wood the same size as the bottom of the enclosure and then do a 2x4 frame under it. I put a crossbar 2x4 every 24" underneath. On my big 8x3' ones, I used 4x4s under the plywood. I have 4' and 6' versions in transit now. Shipped last week. Might be here tomorrow.
Cool thanks Tom. Do you think a incandescent fixture 18” from the side is adequate or should I take it further out?

daniellenc

Maryland
Yeah well one turned into 2 after a couple months. Then a couple weeks ago I called to check on the status of mine aaaaand decided to order another. I’m going to be mounting the RHP’s on then ceiling along with a couple t5 uv bulbs and some 6500k led strip lights. Substrate is a problem. I initially bought a ton of zoo med repti bark for a 3x6 cage I built. But that was a waste of time and money as I opted for a ap cage instead. I figure with the repti bark I bought it should do about 1.5 cages. I opted for a 5” litter damn. Did you get incandescent fixtures? I got one on each side about 18” from the side. Wondering if I should put them a little further out than that.
I did not do LED’s because RF’s like it dark. Just UV for him!

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I did not do LED’s because RF’s like it dark. Just UV for him!
Yeah I was going to put a basking side with a led strip and basking bulb Incase they want it and run 6% uv bulbs the whole length of the enclosure. I was going to add a pvc pipe just under the lights running the length of the cage with some fake plants to give them the spotty light they like. Actually your prob right. I’ll just run UV and a basking bulb on one end. My other 2 cages are for a leopard and sulcata so I need all the lights.