Animal Plastics T100

spoilers

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Ohio
Hi guys,

I just ordered a custom T100 for my fully grown redfoot! I've noticed AP gets really good reviews despite the long wait so I decided to go with them and get their massive 8'x 4' enclosure for winter months and cold nights.

I'm currently struggling with keeping humidity up in a kinda thrown together open chamber so this will be a huge upgrade for my shell baby. Once it arrives in a few months I'll post pics and give a review since nobody has left one for the T100 yet. I'm super excited!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats man. You will NOT be disappointed. The waiting sucks, but its all worth it the day you get the enclosure and set it up.

Did you get the 6" litter dam? I highly recommend it over the standard 3".

Go really easy with the dampness at first. They hold humidity exceedingly well. Way better than you'd expect. Even with bone dry Sani-Chip bedding which is a type of finely chopped aspen bedding, I have no problem maintaining 80% humidity in my AP snake cages with just a large water bowl and a humid hide box. I got the substrate a little too damp in one enclosure early on and it took WEEKS to dry out. I had to leave the door open and run a fan in there when the tortoises were outside sunning or soaking.

I've never used such a tall enclosure, so I'm looking forward to learning how well it all works for you.

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
Did you get the 6" litter dam? I highly recommend it over the standard 3".

I didn't know there was an option to change that. Not too concerned though, my redfoot doesn't dig much anyway, he's more of a climber. If the glass becomes a problem I'll just paint the bottom so he can't see out. Thanks for the advice on substrate. I'm using coco coir and coco husk mix right now and even when it's damp I can't get humidity high enough in the open chamber. It's nice to hear I won't have that problem anymore!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I didn't know there was an option to change that. Not too concerned though, my redfoot doesn't dig much anyway, he's more of a climber. If the glass becomes a problem I'll just paint the bottom so he can't see out. Thanks for the advice on substrate. I'm using coco coir and coco husk mix right now and even when it's damp I can't get humidity high enough in the open chamber. It's nice to hear I won't have that problem anymore!
The litter dam is not for digging. Its so that you can open the door for maintenance and not have to worry about the tortoise falling out, and it has the added benefit of keeping the substrate out of the track that your glass slides in.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Congrats! I've got to ask though, why do you want a 4ft tall cage? I cant see the benefit of having all that height and extra volume to heat? Maybe a 2-story ramp or something is in the works?

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Congrats! I've got to ask though, why do you want a 4ft tall cage? I cant see the benefit of having all that height and extra volume to heat? Maybe a 2-story ramp or something is in the works?

Sure would make it easier to get in for maintenance and create a nice and natural environment. I will be purchasing the same model when it's time. I use an AP cage currently for my Bearded Dragon and it's awesome.

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
I am planning on eventually adding a ramp and a 2nd story. Not right away though. My redfoot enjoys the 2nd story he currently has and the large hide it provides underneath.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good question!

They will custom make one at less than 48" tall if people want it that way. Another TFO member is having one made to 24" tall.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I am planning on eventually adding a ramp and a 2nd story. Not right away though. My redfoot enjoys the 2nd story he currently has and the large hide it provides underneath.

I knew it! That would be an incredible setup. A second level could potentially add another 20-40% of space in the same enclosure.

Joey B.

Raleigh, NC
Curious what the wait times are? I'm thinking of getting a much smaller one from them but I keep hearing that it takes a while.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Curious what the wait times are? I'm thinking of getting a much smaller one from them but I keep hearing that it takes a while.
They are in the process of moving to a larger facility with a second CNC machine, so that will significantly cut down on lead times. We're going on 24 weeks for our monkey tailed skink and bearded dragon enclosures. Ali did promise that they'd be done by the end of next week. It's definitely a longer wait time than other enclosure manufacturers, but you can't beat the quality and customization from AP.

Here's a photo of our blue tongue skink enclosure. 20190429_200344.jpeg

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
24 weeks?! Good lord, I better get my order in then. lol
Yep. It's been a long wait. But, to be fair, I send Ali a PDF file of exactly where I want each fixture to be mounted and each specific enclosure has variations on litter dam depth and ventilation. I also drop ship all the lighting (except for ceramic sockets) directly to AP and they do the installation. So, it's not just a matter of AP sending us the standard enclosure. Mark, Ali's husband, has to program each one of our diagrams into the computer. That's probably why ours took even longer.

Reactions: Tom

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Do they ship it assembled, or cut and ready for you to glue and screw?

Jamie

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Do they ship it assembled, or cut and ready for you to glue and screw?

Jamie
Shipped flat packed with screws and silicone included. Fortunately for us, they are only about 2 hours away from us. So, we pick up our orders in person. And, they'll be 1/2 hour closer when they move to the new facility.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Shipped flat packed with screws and silicone included. Fortunately for us, they are only about 2 hours away from us. So, we pick up our orders in person. And, they'll be 1/2 hour closer when they move to the new facility.

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Orange, CA
They told me 10-12 weeks

A word to the wise on anyone needing them to build you a cage, you MUST be patient. To be fair, last year, I knew there was a backlog of at least 12 weeks and told Ali that I wasn't in any kind of rush. It turned out to be a mistake, since I am here on week 43 still waiting.

Honestly, I'm still not in a hurry, expect for the excitement of finally getting this set up. Ali also eventually answers all my emails even if it takes 3-4 tries sometimes. She is always knowledgeable and pleasant, I just wish things would move along a bit.

CandyApple

Nebraska
I follow Animal Plastics on FB and they recently posted that they bought a new facility and CNC machine as well as hired more employees so this should be a huge help as far as wait times.

I don't have any of these cages for tortoises but I also keep snakes and can confirm that they hold humidity extremely well without damp substrate. In fact, I have to use substrate that helps lower the humidity or it's too high.

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
Hey guys, my T100 was just delivered! It'll be a few weeks before i get it put together and everything but i was wondering if anyone knew how many t5 uvb fixtures I should use for my redfoot?

My T100 has 4 fixtures for che to keep temps at around 80° throughout the 8 ft long enclosure and then i have 4 fixtures for florescent uvb but I'm unsure if I'll need to install all 4.

I just want to make sure i get everything right for him finally.