Animal protein for 4 month old redfoot??

Mcharles111

Location (City and/or State)
New York, NY
Hey y’all, first time red foot owner here! My baby is 4 months old now and I’ve had her for a month. Right now her diet consists of veggies/leafy greens, fruit, and I’ve been trying to start introducing flowers. After getting her I’ve been doing TONS of research and I read that Redfoots need animal protein occasionally. I read somewhere that u should wait until they are 6 months old but that was only one article out of the many I’ve read. For some reason it’s been hard for me to get a clear answer so I’m coming to you guys for help! Should I start introducing her to animal protein at 4 months old or should I wait longer?? And what animal protein would y’all recommend??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hey y’all, first time red foot owner here! My baby is 4 months old now and I’ve had her for a month. Right now her diet consists of veggies/leafy greens, fruit, and I’ve been trying to start introducing flowers. After getting her I’ve been doing TONS of research and I read that Redfoots need animal protein occasionally. I read somewhere that u should wait until they are 6 months old but that was only one article out of the many I’ve read. For some reason it’s been hard for me to get a clear answer so I’m coming to you guys for help! Should I start introducing her to animal protein at 4 months old or should I wait longer?? And what animal protein would y’all recommend??
It's hard to guess when they'd start to eat protein in the wild. But my guess would be right away. At least fallen birds, etc and any insect that is too slow to escape.
I have fed my babies bits of protein. Both dog food and Mazuri 5M21. But as a small part of a huge diet.
In my opinion, a 4 month old RF can start eating bits of protein.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Jamie and ZEROPILOT. Growing babies need protein right away.

Roaches, crickets, earthworms, ground turkey, snails (if from a safe source), hard boiled egg, caned cat or dog food, soaked cat or dog kibble, etc... How much and how often is debatable, and there seems to be a wide margin of error. Some people say 10% of the diet should be protein. Other people say offer some protein once a month, or twice a week. I've seen all manner of recommendations. It appears that all of the above methods work for whoever is recommending them.

Do you also know that your baby needs to be in a large closed humid camber, and that you don't need a basking light?

More helpful info here:

Mcharles111

New York, NY
It's hard to guess when they'd start to eat protein in the wild. But my guess would be right away. At least fallen birds, etc and any insect that is too slow to escape.
I have fed my babies bits of protein. Both dog food and Mazuri 5M21. But as a small part of a huge diet.
In my opinion, a 4 month old RF can start eating bits of protein.
I will definitely be getting her protein asap! My pet store actually sells that brand along with all kinds of insects and protein options so I'll make a trip today. Thank you so much

Mcharles111

New York, NY
I agree with Jamie and ZEROPILOT. Growing babies need protein right away.

Roaches, crickets, earthworms, ground turkey, snails (if from a safe source), hard boiled egg, caned cat or dog food, soaked cat or dog kibble, etc... How much and how often is debatable, and there seems to be a wide margin of error. Some people say 10% of the diet should be protein. Other people say offer some protein once a month, or twice a week. I've seen all manner of recommendations. It appears that all of the above methods work for whoever is recommending them.

Do you also know that your baby needs to be in a large closed humid camber, and that you don't need a basking light?

More helpful info here:
Thank you so much Tom. I will definitely be making a trip to the pet store today!!
Ugh Ive been realizing the place i got her gave me so much misinformation. So glad I found this forum!
And I have her in a 20gal tank with a cover and maintain the humidity at 70-80%. And that's interesting, I didn't know she didn't need a basking lamp! How do you keep the temp up without one? And are the basking lamps harmful to her?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you so much Tom. I will definitely be making a trip to the pet store today!!
Ugh Ive been realizing the place i got her gave me so much misinformation. So glad I found this forum!
And I have her in a 20gal tank with a cover and maintain the humidity at 70-80%. And that's interesting, I didn't know she didn't need a basking lamp! How do you keep the temp up without one? And are the basking lamps harmful to her?
With a Redfoot you just want an ambient temperature (all over)of around 82 to 84 degrees. 80 to 88 is comfortable.
Redfoot will seek out and "bask" in an area with optimal temperatures. But it's usually in a cooler spot. Not under a lamp.
You can warm the enclosure night and day with a CHE. It provides no light. Your light source and UVB can be from a T5 HO linear strip florescent uvb tube

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The basking lamps can cause pyramiding.

A 20 is too small. I recommend at least a 40 minimum for a tiny hatching. At 4 months old, your baby should be ready for at least a 100 gallon tank, or better yet, a large closed chamber.

I prefer to maintain ambient temps with radiant heat panels set on a thermostat. These spread the heat out more than a CHE, but CHEs can work too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The basking lamps can cause pyramiding.

A 20 is too small. I recommend at least a 40 minimum for a tiny hatching. At 4 months old, your baby should be ready for at least a 100 gallon tank, or better yet, a large closed chamber.

I prefer to maintain ambient temps with radiant heat panels set on a thermostat. These spread the heat out more than a CHE, but CHEs can work too.
I have no experience with heat panels and CHE don't broadcast the heat too widely.
The panels seem like a better choice

Mcharles111

New York, NY
Okay quick update. I went to the pet store yesterday and got her the Mazuri 5M21 that zeropilot suggested and I gave her a little bit of that. I also got some crickets and mealworms.

In addition, I got a couple CHE’s that I’m gonna try out and the T5 HO linear strip florescent uvb tube. Im still searching for a bigger and more proper chamber like the one Tom suggested.

Thank you all so much for the tips and advice for my baby. I will keep you guys updated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Okay quick update. I went to the pet store yesterday and got her the Mazuri 5M21 that zeropilot suggested and I gave her a little bit of that. I also got some crickets and mealworms.

In addition, I got a couple CHE’s that I’m gonna try out and the T5 HO linear strip florescent uvb tube. Im still searching for a bigger and more proper chamber like the one Tom suggested.

Thank you all so much for the tips and advice for my baby. I will keep you guys updated.
Moisten the Mazuri and you can mix it up with other things if you need to.
Sometimes they need to aquire the taste for it. Then it becomes a favorite usually

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I use the Mazuri almost like a supplement rather than a primary feed... I generally moisten it and then use it tossed as a "dressing" with some greens or fruit or veg or animal protein... it's great to introduce new foods, because (in my experience) all torts like the kibble.

Jamie