Anna and Cecil

italianna

Hello ! I'm new here ! Long time lover of turtles and tortoises . I got my first today! Baby sulcata , it's 12 weeks old , was love at first sight hehe. I suspect the pet store owner probably didn't give me the best advice so I've been all over the Internet trying to compare and make sure I give my baby the absolute best care I can give . I was so excited to find this place and I look forward to reading up and/ or asking questions ! ❤️❤️ happy to meet you all
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468730289.486755.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

italianna

I am indeed ! Lol I have already read your 3 posts I have been digging ! They are extremely helpful ! I have to go out tomorrow and adjust a few things ! They did tell me a few things that were wrong :( I look forward to being a part of the community here

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I am indeed ! Lol I have already read your 3 posts I have been digging ! They are extremely helpful ! I have to go out tomorrow and adjust a few things ! They did tell me a few things that were wrong :( I look forward to being a part of the community here
Welcome welcome. Don't feel too badly, almost every pet store out there gives outdated/bad info on tortoises. Not really sure why... I suspect it's just not a big enough portion of their revenue to bother really learning about.

italianna

Welcome welcome. Don't feel too badly, almost every pet store out there gives outdated/bad info on tortoises. Not really sure why... I suspect it's just not a big enough portion of their revenue to bother really learning about.
They sold me a terrarium that came with sand and everything I've read (especially on here) has said that sand isn't good. I am going to the store to get all the better things for Cecil. Just worry about him being in sand for a day! He also said only romaine lettuce and never about getting outdoor time etc . Lol I'm very glad to have found this place . <3 ! Going shopping today a lot more informed to give the best life for the baby :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They sold me a terrarium that came with sand and everything I've read (especially on here) has said that sand isn't good. I am going to the store to get all the better things for Cecil. Just worry about him being in sand for a day! He also said only romaine lettuce and never about getting outdoor time etc . Lol I'm very glad to have found this place . <3 ! Going shopping today a lot more informed to give the best life for the baby :)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go back to that store and tell them what you've learned here. Invite them to this site. Try to save other babies from the certain and painful death that awaits them if that incorrect advice is continually dispensed and followed. They may not want to hear it, but over time, if enough customers complain and take their business elsewhere, they will have to eventually consider the new info, or go broke and out of business. Somebody has to be the first one to tell them.

italianna

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go back to that store and tell them what you've learned here. Invite them to this site. Try to save other babies from the certain and painful death that awaits them if that incorrect advice is continually dispensed and followed. They may not want to hear it, but over time, if enough customers complain and take their business elsewhere, they will have to eventually consider the new info, or go broke and out of business. Somebody has to be the first one to tell them.
I went back to return the light bulb they gave me cause it wasn't the right kind and I told them , the funny thing is they have the other two hatchlings with what looks like mulch ( which is what I bought from somewhere else ) in the tank with some baby bearded dragons . He said that he didn't realize it came with sand which isn't true cause I asked about bedding when I bought it lol ! I think he just wanted the sale . :( ! I have another friend who was looking for one so I sent him there , hopefully the other two can get out of there .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I went back to return the light bulb they gave me cause it wasn't the right kind and I told them , the funny thing is they have the other two hatchlings with what looks like mulch ( which is what I bought from somewhere else ) in the tank with some baby bearded dragons . He said that he didn't realize it came with sand which isn't true cause I asked about bedding when I bought it lol ! I think he just wanted the sale . :( ! I have another friend who was looking for one so I sent him there , hopefully the other two can get out of there .

The problem is that if they sell all three babies, they are going to use that money to buy more, and the vicious cycle will continue. They need to be educated, and if they refuse to change, they need to be boycotted and put out of business.

italianna

The problem is that if they sell all three babies, they are going to use that money to buy more, and the vicious cycle will continue. They need to be educated, and if they refuse to change, they need to be boycotted and put out of business.
The sales girl lead me to believe that they rarely have tortoises but it could be because I was so interested and excited and she wanted to make the sale . I've posted on my social media about how I had to go buy all kind of new things aside from the stuff I thought was right from there . :( just working out temps for him right now ! ( or her! ) immediately seems to like the mulch over the sand and started using the hiding place after it was in the cooler spot and damp . And the terra cota saucers were an amazing find ! The threads were so helpful ! I really appreciate having the correct info all in one place !

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A gorgeous tort! GOD bless.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
pet stores are the worst! however it looks like you got a cutie! make sure to read as much as you can especially because your new addition is so young. you will deff find this site super helpful and the people on here are just great! welcome! cant wait to see more pictures!

italianna

I probably should have made a entire new forum post in a different section I'm still learning to navigate a bit :x lol I was wondering ( I've searched and didn't see an answer really ) for my 12 week sulcata how deep should the mulch be inside his indoor enclosure? I read somewhere the it was 4-6 inches cause they like to burrow but I wanted confirmation before putting so much ! He's been so happy ! I've even got him more space to walk around in . Thanks in advice for any info you or anyone can give on the mulch !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I probably should have made a entire new forum post in a different section I'm still learning to navigate a bit :x lol I was wondering ( I've searched and didn't see an answer really ) for my 12 week sulcata how deep should the mulch be inside his indoor enclosure? I read somewhere the it was 4-6 inches cause they like to burrow but I wanted confirmation before putting so much ! He's been so happy ! I've even got him more space to walk around in . Thanks in advice for any info you or anyone can give on the mulch !

This is not critical. Anywhere between 2-4 inches will be fine. I prefer plain fine grade orchid bark for baby sulcatas.

italianna

This is not critical. Anywhere between 2-4 inches will be fine. I prefer plain fine grade orchid bark for baby sulcatas.

I will have to find that ! I was going to ask cause I also saw Cecil trying to nibble on a little piece . Just an overprotective new mom lol !