Another Clutch 29 Days Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The box turtle that laid the eggs that I moved because of where she laid them has laid again,within a foot of where she laid on June 6. I saw her out earlier today right on top of the eggs that are still in the ground that were laid in the middle of June by another eastern, at that time I thought she may be looking to lay another clutch, she did but not in a good spot again.I'll move them tomorrow. It was dark when I took this pic,had to use a flashlight to see her. Len

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
why is it not a good spot?usually they are better judges of what their eggs will need, though not always.

oh you may want to remove that indian strawberry plant (the three leaved plant) th poke weed will provide shade and fruit for the turtles.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Saloli said:
why is it not a good spot?usually they are better judges of what their eggs will need, though not always.

oh you may want to remove that indian strawberry plant (the three leaved plant) th poke weed will provide shade and fruit for the turtles.

It holds water when it rains and when I do partial water changes on the pond. I don't understand about the indian strawberry plant, didn't know I had one, which pic?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That's great Len. Hopefully you will soon be loaded with some hatchlings. Very nice looking box turtle.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
it is in the lower right corner of the pic on this thread the fruit can cause some problems with american box turtles it is from eurasia three leaf segments and fuzzy. oh okay kind of odd she picks that spot. where these her first two clutches? oh and if you don't control it the strawberry will take over. they fight in my front yard with my common cinquefoils (wild strawberries) which are edable and native (at least here they are).

M

Maggie Cummings

How fortunate you are. I have 5 females a couple tried some test spots one dug all day. They all have given up. Unless they laid in hidden nests that I missed...I'm so disappointed

Len B

10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone, She is an old girl that's been in captivity many years.I dug the eggs up early this morning before most of you were awake, and there were 5, they looked fine, but maybe a little smaller than her first 6. from the 3 nest I've seen there are 17 eggs and I'm sure there are nest that I didn't see. Good Luck with yours Maggie,at least one has a unknown nest somewhere (think positive). Len

Status
Not open for further replies.