Another hibernation question - too late in January?

JuliaJ

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hello everybody!

Technically I am new to the forum ie I have never messaged but I have been reading a lot the last year since getting my own little Greek Matilda!

I did not hibernate her last year as my first year with her and first year as a tortoise owner.
I am very late to the game this year as I have had trouble finding a fridge (yes I am opting for the fridge method as seems the more safe for me living in the UK) but have got one today (22 November)

Is it too late to hibernate her in late December/January when I’ve “emptied” her body or shall I wait for next year now?
She seems desperate to sleep and hibernate at the moment as when I wake her up to soak etc she does what she needs to do, and then go back to her little hide and sleep until I get her up next day… (I’ve done the Jackson ratio a couple of times recently and she is within a healthy rate

This is her in our yearly Christmas card photo shoot☺️

Attachments

• 9232F2EC-E18F-4671-A48F-B8760F37BCC8.jpeg
    9232F2EC-E18F-4671-A48F-B8760F37BCC8.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 12

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everybody!

Technically I am new to the forum ie I have never messaged but I have been reading a lot the last year since getting my own little Greek Matilda!

I did not hibernate her last year as my first year with her and first year as a tortoise owner.
I am very late to the game this year as I have had trouble finding a fridge (yes I am opting for the fridge method as seems the more safe for me living in the UK) but have got one today (22 November)

Is it too late to hibernate her in late December/January when I’ve “emptied” her body or shall I wait for next year now?
She seems desperate to sleep and hibernate at the moment as when I wake her up to soak etc she does what she needs to do, and then go back to her little hide and sleep until I get her up next day… (I’ve done the Jackson ratio a couple of times recently and she is within a healthy rate

This is her in our yearly Christmas card photo shoot☺️
Not too late. She needs a month of warm temps, soaks, and the ability to bask to empty the gut. You can begin shortening day length, lowering temps, and dimming lights toward the end of that 4 week fasting period. Then you may want to only allow her to brumate for 8-10 weeks, depending on the weather your way in spring.

Here is more info:

Scroll to post #19:

JuliaJ

United Kingdom
Not too late. She needs a month of warm temps, soaks, and the ability to bask to empty the gut. You can begin shortening day length, lowering temps, and dimming lights toward the end of that 4 week fasting period. Then you may want to only allow her to brumate for 8-10 weeks, depending on the weather your way in spring.

Here is more info:

Scroll to post #19:
Thank you @Tom! Apologies for late reply but Matilda is in hibernation since Boxing Day so not nearly a month, today as I just checked on her I noticed some small fluid behind her as she hasn’t dug down too much (there are orchid bark on the side and just wiped it off on the paper to show colour)
This is the only fluid that I saw so not sure how much I should worry? Time to take her out of the fridge already or is it safe if I keep checking?
I did not feed her from 22 November, nothing in her table she could’ve eaten and soaked her three times weekly (except the last 5 days as I got covid and was in bed with high temperatures)
C5C0F357-B2C7-4F47-8C62-7796D75E04E6.jpeg
Many thanks again!
Julia

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you @Tom! Apologies for late reply but Matilda is in hibernation since Boxing Day so not nearly a month, today as I just checked on her I noticed some small fluid behind her as she hasn’t dug down too much (there are orchid bark on the side and just wiped it off on the paper to show colour)
This is the only fluid that I saw so not sure how much I should worry? Time to take her out of the fridge already or is it safe if I keep checking?
I did not feed her from 22 November, nothing in her table she could’ve eaten and soaked her three times weekly (except the last 5 days as I got covid and was in bed with high temperatures)
View attachment 338767
Many thanks again!
Julia
HEY! I know what Boxing Day is now! One of your countrymen who has lived over here for decades invited my wife and I to their Boxing Day party a couple of years ago.

I wouldn't worry about that. I'd leave her be for another month or two.

Moi Hutton

UK
Hi Julia,
I’ve also got a Greek tort who is in the fridge due to the unusually warm winter we were having in the UK.
Last year he came out towards the end of March and he had a great year in the sun, eating loads and putting on lots of weight. This is the second year we’ve had him too so we’re still learning. It’s great to keep in touch with other UK based owners as the weather is so temperamental!
Good luck with your brumation and let us know how you get on.