Another New Food From Kapidolo Farms

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Will @Kapidolo Farms has done it again. "It" being inventing yet another fantastic way for all of us to easily improve the quality of the foods we are feeding to our tortoises.

Many tortoise species eat grass. We don't always have grass readily available, and sometimes the grass is in a form that isn't convenient or useable for our tortoises. For example: Dry grass hay is no good for a little baby sulcata. Tough mature grass is no good for tiny hatchings either. So how do you get grass into your baby grass eater's diet if you don't have freshly sprouted grass? Glad you asked!
IMG_8405.jpg
IMG_8406.jpg

As you can see, there are three types. You simply sprinkle it on top of your daily greens and mix it all in. This is not blended grass hay. It is cut grass. Will can explain the difference far better than I can, but I got the three bags a week ago, and I've been using it ever since. Now it could be that my tortoises are just used to eating so many of the other Kapidolo Farms offerings that they took to this one immediately, but they all seem to love it and gobble up anything with these grass sprinkles on it. These products are a great way to add variety and nutrition to the diet of any tortoise species, but I especially like it for baby stars, sulcatas, leopards, and the two island giants. If you are feeding grocery store greens or spring mix to a hermanni or a Russian, adding some sprinkles of one or more of these will make it a better food for your tortoise.

This is yet another fantastic idea from Will, and a great way to make your tortoise's food better for it.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Which type would be the best for 4 year old Burmese Stars and Russian Tortoises?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Thank's @Tom . I had to wait on the oat and wheat, the mill seeks a month lead time for what they consider the 'giant' size particles. I got the barley first and have been using it since early Dec 2022. I half expected the wheat and oat to be straw color, but they are all a dense green. The other exciting news, no dustiness at all in any of them. They are all USA produced.

Like Tom mentions, I switch the dry leaf inclusions so much I think the tortoises don't have much concern when the base diet if fresh greens. I have not noticed the tortoises indicating anything that deters them from eating any of these small cut grasses. The one bonus is that it really is a product where a little goes a long way.

I forget when I set the sale price to stop, but until then they are on sale in the variety pack.