Another new member

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hi everyone... my name is Nicola and I am a UK ex-pat living in Cyprus with my partner, Mark, 2 dogs Molly and Suzi, both rescue dogs from Cyprus, 2 cats Charlie and Django again rescued and my 2 lovely and quite young tortoises, Poppett and Snickers. Having wanted a tortoise since I was knee-high to one and finally having become the owner of one at nearly 39 years of age, this site is very useful to find answers to the questions which I haven't been able to find yet.

Attachments

• SDC12193.JPG
    SDC12193.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 36

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello Nicola and Welcome to TFO!! :) your torts are really cute:)

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus
Yeah they are cute... we did have 3 until yesterday, the 3rd one being a 12 year old spur thighed tortoise. Sadly she thought she'd climb out of her enclosure yesterday, not quite sure how she managed it but, as they are kept outside and I can't watch them all the time, she managed it.She hid right under the back wheel of my car and got herself run over when I reversed out of my drive. Very very sad about it as she was my first tortoise and lovely and I'm not sure I will ever get over the guilt but we will now focus on installing maximum security on the enclosure and possibly security guards to ensure the other 2 can't get out and continue to live a happy and much longer life. I don't want anything to happen to them

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nicola:

Welcome to the Forum!!

Wow...so sad about your older tortoise. This seems to be a spot where tortoises like to hide. I've heard of this happening quite frequently. Don't beat yourself up over it. After all, how could you have known that he was resting under your tire. I really doubt any of us go around and inspect the ground around our vehicle before we drive away.

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus
Yvonne G said:
Hi Nicola:

Welcome to the Forum!!

Wow...so sad about your older tortoise. This seems to be a spot where tortoises like to hide. I've heard of this happening quite frequently. Don't beat yourself up over it. After all, how could you have known that he was resting under your tire. I really doubt any of us go around and inspect the ground around our vehicle before we drive away.

Thanks Yvonne... sure I'll get over the guilt some time and like I said I will make triple sure that it never happens with the other 2

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi and welcome. I'm so sorry to hear about your tortoise.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Those are great names. They look beautiful. Welcome to TFO.

I'm so sorry about your other tortoise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus
Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199 said:
Welcome!! :)
Your tortoises are so cute. What kind are they?

That's very sad about your tortoise. :(

Thanks for your message... the slightly bigger one, Poppett, is a spur thighed tortoise and the other, Snickers, I am not quite sure about yet as the person who we got her from didn't know as she was rescued and they sadly have to go back to the UK. We only just recently got her but she has no spurs on her back legs so I will be taking her to the vets soon to get her identified. If you or anyone else who reads this can help with this then that would be great :)

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus
Thanks to all for your messages of sympathy about Trudy xx

Status
Not open for further replies.