Another pip! New baby

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Today, at 60 days of incubation, my other egg pipped! My first egg pipped June 1, this one July 2, haha. This one was incubated at around 87 so the sex isn't clear. My other was at 89, so pretty sure female. I'm surprised, because the other egg took 66 days to pip at 89, this one 60 days at 87. You would think heat speeds it up.
IMG_6330.jpg

ZenHerper

New Jersey
*whoops!*

Ahem.
*pretends nothing's going on*

*dog wakes up...it jumps...runs around the house...comes back...looks all around...sits down*

You're such a weird little doggie, aren't you, honey?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Today, at 60 days of incubation, my other egg pipped! My first egg pipped June 1, this one July 2, haha. This one was incubated at around 87 so the sex isn't clear. My other was at 89, so pretty sure female. I'm surprised, because the other egg took 66 days to pip at 89, this one 60 days at 87. You would think heat speeds it up.
View attachment 328337
Congrats again! I'll be curious to see the size of the yolk sac on this one compared to the last one.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
View attachment 328337
I've been doing a lot of testing/data keeping on this and I am seeing mounting evidence the temperature of the female prior to laying will have an influence on the duration of incubation - all other things equal. ...and very possibly the pivot point for sex during incubation.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I've been doing a lot of testing/data keeping on this and I am seeing mounting evidence the temperature of the female prior to laying will have an influence on the duration of incubation - all other things equal. ...and very possibly the pivot point for sex during incubation.
Wow.. that's so interesting! Good luck with your testing.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Congrats again! I'll be curious to see the size of the yolk sac on this one compared to the last one.
Thanks! Yeah, I was super surprised at how small the yolk sac was on my last one, and how RIGHT after she came out of the egg she already was trying to eat the leaves. Maybe this one will have a much bigger yolk sac. Hopefully no split scutes, but that's just a preference haha.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Awesome congrats man!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Parboiled!

Now I want ramen...

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Here are pics of Clover and the new baby side by side. Clover is a month and a couple days old. Does that growth look good?

Pics go in order of: New baby, Clover, both, both, both. Clover is the darker one with some growth.
IMG_6354.JPGIMG_6353.JPGIMG_6355.JPGIMG_6348.JPGIMG_6349.jpg