another poop story.....plugged up

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
well for 2 years you could almost set your watch to defecation time for Titan. But last week things changed. 6 days passed with no voiding of pooh.......eating. drinking and active as usual; urinating and the occasion passing of very thin urates. But no pooh. I tried cactus; aloe; and pumpkin; wetted down his timothy hey; increased soaking times; bathtub soaks; an even took him for a ride in the truck,,,,no change. My concern was he had eaten something that was causing an impaction. So I made appointment to have x ray at my vets who was not going to be available for a few days. So I ended up doing something I never ever have done before; and that was to added three slices of cucumber; and three chunks of watermelon (his very first taste of any kind of fruit). 48 hours later; he let loose.....alot of pooh. I was relieved and am sure he felt better. Examined the pooh and it seemed normal consistency; except for the first piece. It usually comes out in a long tubular shape (yard burritos). But the first piece seem to have doubled over on itself; ending up being twice as thick as normal; which I am assuming was acting effectively as a plug. Not sure why this happened; and am open to any suggestions that will prevent it in the future. He does get cactus pads about twice a week; and there were no changes in his diet; with the exception of no fresh grass to graze as it has all gone dormant for the winter.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
the other thing that helps them poo that might be harder to get in a place with a cold winter is lots of walking. I don't know anything about your setup but thought Id add encase its of any help

N

no one

A good thing it is out now!! If it happends again you can also feed some Aloë Vera.

eric joranson

the other thing that helps them poo that might be harder to get in a place with a cold winter is lots of walking. I don't know anything about your setup but thought Id add encase its of any help
Yes I have converted an old cold war bomb shelter built in the early 1950s under the house with its own furnace; its about 50 ft x 30 feet and has plenty of room to walk around. In fact I have three feeding stations I set as far apart from each other to encourage him/her to roam and forage. Still a fraction of the outside enclosed yard.

eric joranson

So cucumber?
I've heard that before. But never had to use it.
not sure if it was the cucumber or the watermelon.....I have never fed either of them to him/her before; but since vet was going to be unavailable for a few days I decided to try both. Was surprised how quickly he/she went after them and gobbled them down; is usually very wary of any new food stuffs. But it will not be part of any regular diet; just something to use if this problem should arise again.

Bee62

Germany
If cucumber or water melon, I am glad it worked. :) It was a good idea to feed these food.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Yes I have converted an old cold war bomb shelter built in the early 1950s under the house with its own furnace; its about 50 ft x 30 feet and has plenty of room to walk around. In fact I have three feeding stations I set as far apart from each other to encourage him/her to roam and forage. Still a fraction of the outside enclosed yard.
Sounds so cool!