Another rescue... sort of

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
So the herp society I’m a member of was looking for folks in the group with monitor experience. Sadly, or prominent monitor expert had recently passed away and nobody else was chiming in.

As a kid (and to this day) my favorite critter has been monitor lizards. My dream was to have one eventually. As an adult, I have opportunities, but refrained, knowing it wasn't a practical 'pet'.

So when I heard they needed someone to foster a 44" black throat monitor, I chimed in, saying I’d be willing if nobody with more experience stepped up. And nobody did...

So I explained to my boys what we were going to be getting - for a little while at least... I reminded them of our favorite pet store in the next town over. It is a pretty big store, with a neat reptile area that include a great display of not for sale critters. One such critter was "Monster", a black throat monitor. Our favorite critter in the store and we went and visited him at least 2 times a month. So it was really easy for them to picture what a black throat monitor looked like (they also have a few at the big reptile zoo in our town, but we only make it there a few times per year).

Soooo, the contact at the herp society told me where to go and pick up the monitor last night. Turns out to be "Monster", or favorite local 'celebrity' black throat!

Seems he was growing so fast and big that they nice, but not huge, enclosure was just not cutting it any longer. So they were trying to be responsible and not display animals that were clearly not fitting in their permanent enclosure. They were giving him to the herp society knowing they would do what it took to find "monster" the perfect long term home with proper husbandry and right sized cage as he grows to full size.

I picked him up last night and he is a big puppy dog (for a monitor...). I was ready with heavy leather gloves and prepared to wrestle him into the plastic tote for transport if needed. Total joke. No gloves needed. Monster is so used to being handled by the store workers each day (since he was a baby) that being picked up is just no big thing to him.

I brought him home and have him in a 6ft long by 2.5 ft wide enclosure for now. He loves his new soaking tub (didn't have one before) and slept in it last night. He also ate for me. He is settling in nicely. The society has an enclosure for me to pick up that is bigger and taller than mine. I hope to have that one ready to go this weekend.

The only issue is that I’ve already fallen in love with this critter and want to adopt him permanently... So we'll see what happens...

Pics to come :)

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I bet your kids were so stoked to see Monster! Good luck...with whatever you decide to do with him ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your wife truly is one "amazing and beautiful" woman!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Do it! Adopt him! I think it is fate, that it turned out to be Monster, and you would always regret it if you let him slip away!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Kismet anyone? I vote (if we are voting) to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.