Another rescue with a shell wound

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Got another one of those dreaded calls 'I found a turtle in my back yard and I think my dog chewed on it!' Picked him up this morning and it's Russian boy. Whatever happened before the shell puncture made me believe he was better off escaping from wherever he was. His shell has bone showing everywhere, signs of old, deep shell rot on the bottom, missing a couple toenails, and upon closer inspection of top and bottom there are 4-6 areas that look like parts were shattered and grown together over the years. Oh the stories this boy could tell. Probably horror stories.

He is active and alert and bleeding is under control. He's under vet care and I'll post more later. More pics as well.

Any helpful suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• russian with hole 1.JPG
    russian with hole 1.JPG
    545.7 KB · Views: 267
  • russian with hole 2.JPG
    russian with hole 2.JPG
    483.7 KB · Views: 264

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Oh, this just breaks my heart. I'm happy he's active, and the bleeding is under control...and so thankful he's going to have a better life now.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
After vet update:
Good and bad. Has maggots in the wound but it's not infected. Took an x-ray to make sure there was not a BB or something of the sort. There was none.

He's set up in a hospital tank and I'll be caring for him and keeping him clean and hydrated and hopefully he'll eat soon!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
OMG! (Just finally got home and saw your email...thanks for that).

If you need medical help, I can take him on. The treatments for me are free and the meds are at cost. I'm happy to meet you half way. Or I will be in Kennewick the 26-28. Or, you can tell me to shut up you have things under control. LOL

we are ready to do shell repairs *** well, and I'm frankly excited about it!!! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sandy

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
At least maggots eat away the necrotic tissue and leave a clean wound once you have them removed, but just the thought.... UGH!

Good luck to the poor baby, and thank you for saving him.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
So sorry this guy has had such a rough go of it.
Sandy where are you? Do you work in a vets office? I am always interested in rescue/rehabilitation techniques. I am currently trying a few things that are new to me. Using sugar bandages on wounds and banana peel extract to promote healing and soothe. Its always challenging when I get in a new rescue.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Oh the poor thing!

So glad you are looking after him, sounds like he will be lovely when he is all better!

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
kanalomele said:
So sorry this guy has had such a rough go of it.
Sandy where are you? Do you work in a vets office? I am always interested in rescue/rehabilitation techniques. I am currently trying a few things that are new to me. Using sugar bandages on wounds and banana peel extract to promote healing and soothe. Its always challenging when I get in a new rescue.

lvstorts here: I find this book to be a God-send - Health Care and Rehabilitation of Turtles and Tortoises by Amanda Ebenhack. Highly recommend it.

330am update: no, not usually up at 330am but I can never sleep when I'm working with what I call a 50/50er. He's still hanging in, no signs of shock or stress. Did not eat after the vet but not too worried yet, he's got good weight on him.

Biggest news is there were 8 maggots that exited the wound. My young box turtles had a feast! My vet tells me when there is not dead tissue to feed on the maggots will die or exit looking for other food. I'm taking this as a good sign that tissue has been healing.

More to come....

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Glad to hear no signs of shock/stress!!
Good luck!.......you should take a nap!! :)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Good luck to the tortoise. Maggots really are some of the best wound cleansers around, even if they are disgusting. AT least your boxie liked them.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I love maggots, they are one of God's most efficient cleanup crew. Most species of maggots only eat dead or dying tissue, but there are still plenty that eat all exposed flesh. I grew up on a farm so they don't bother me, and I work at a veterinary hospital in rural western Oregon, so I see plenty of farm dogs/cats with 'em. Munch munch munch. (Giggle)

So to answer previous question, Portland, OR area. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

WillTort2

5 Year Member
That shell really looks bad. I'm surprised to see the legs look strong and his weight seems good.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Bless you for taking him on. THE world Needs more like you! What is the treatment for such extensive shell rot?

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
All I can say is wow.... Thank you for taking this little guy on. I have a proposed name for the guy, "Sargent Slaughter". He has faced the worst and came out fighting, definitely a combat vetran. I will give a prayer, although he is already a true fighter, for his quick recovery.

Keep us posted.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
So happy this poor guy is now with someone who will give him proper care.... so sad how some torts have it.... he will think he is in heaven.....

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Update:
Start of day #3: this morning when I went to check on him he was awake with eyes open and looked at me when I came in. When i reach for him he moved away a few steps. I'm taking this as a good sign!

Wound continues to stay clean and I have not seen anymore maggots. No discharge from the wound as well last night.

Still hoping to get him eating soon.

Continue to hope and trust in how tough turtles and tortoises are!

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Oh my, I've never seen a shell that bad. It's horrible someone could leave him to get that bad.

It's great that he seems to recovering; especially being alert and responsive this morning! Best of luck in recovery "Sargeant Slaughter" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.