Another sad story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi all, I have not been in in awhile, you know how it gets. But now I have to share because no one I know here seems to have a clue that these little critters do have personalities and are a wonderful pet.
I have had Jack(RF) and Louise (ornate box)together for 6 years. (please, already been through the whole 'don't mix species debate when I first joined, tried it longer than many would, didn't work, both were miserable and I did what was the right thing for them and put them back together) So they were put outside a week or so this year, brought in when ever it was going to be cold. Well I went to bring them in and my little Louise is gone!! Now I have a really secure pen, hot wired on top and cannot understand how she got out. I, at first was in denial and thought she just buried herself well, but it has been a week and with our weather getting really warm (but then really cold 40's last night) I would have seen her. It really is so upsetting. I have looked everywhere as all of you can imagine. Sickening. I just hope she has a good summer and with help, maybe she will hibernate our awful winters. Or just maybe I will spot her. I live where there is not any houses so postings just can't help. I Just felt I had to share because I am so upset. I can't say what Jack is thinking, but he does make the rounds in the pen and he usually dosen't do that. What a bummer for my little girl I will miss her so much.
Please keep good thoughts and just maybe....
Nadine

Barb92083

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Nay said:
Hi all, I have not been in in awhile, you know how it gets. But now I have to share because no one I know here seems to have a clue that these little critters do have personalities and are a wonderful pet.
I have had Jack(RF) and Louise (ornate box)together for 6 years. (please, already been through the whole 'don't mix species debate when I first joined, tried it longer than many would, didn't work, both were miserable and I did what was the right thing for them and put them back together) So they were put outside a week or so this year, brought in when ever it was going to be cold. Well I went to bring them in and my little Louise is gone!! Now I have a really secure pen, hot wired on top and cannot understand how she got out. I, at first was in denial and thought she just buried herself well, but it has been a week and with our weather getting really warm (but then really cold 40's last night) I would have seen her. It really is so upsetting. I have looked everywhere as all of you can imagine. Sickening. I just hope she has a good summer and with help, maybe she will hibernate our awful winters. Or just maybe I will spot her. I live where there is not any houses so postings just can't help. I Just felt I had to share because I am so upset. I can't say what Jack is thinking, but he does make the rounds in the pen and he usually dosen't do that. What a bummer for my little girl I will miss her so much.
Please keep good thoughts and just maybe....
Nadine

Hey Nadine Sorry for your missing baby try wetting the pen down real good see if that naughty kid comes out to eat.Best of luck finding her Barb

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Well how secure is your pen? she could just be buried really good you would be surprised on how good them can hide.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Hi Nadine.... Good to hear from you after such a long time, but I wish it were under different circumstances. When I had my Ornate outside (before I re-did my yard) the weather was getting colder so I decided to take her in. I must have dug up every inch of that pen...really. There was NO WAY that she could have gotten out. The sides go down almost three feet because it was originally a planter. Winter came...no Nora. I was devastated. I just figured someone must have gotten in my yard and took her. Summer came and one day....there was Nora..in the pen. I swore that I dug every where...I hope you will find her and there will be a happy ending. If the nights are 40 degrees and she isn't used to this, she will deffinately dig under and not come up until the weather gets warmer. I can imagine how Jack feels, because of how Pio acts when Izzy is outside and he isn't. Don't give up....

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
HOpe you find her. I will keep my fingers crossed!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Nay, where are you located ? Remember that ornates are prairie creatures and as such have behavioural strategies to deal with extremes in temperature. Here in Iowa it can be 80's in day and drop into 40's at night and yet the ornates have thrived for over 10,000 years. In other words don't give up.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Aw my goodness, I hope you find her, keep looking, keep digging, she must be somewhere. Will keep my fingers crossed and will pray for her.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Nadine,
I am so sorry :( As Stace said, look everywhere (even if you already did it) your little Louise must be somewhere. I keep you both in my thoughts. Please, keep us updated.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I really feel for you, I do hope she turns up, like the guys said she might just be dug in really well..goodluck

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Nadine, my thoughts are with you and fingers crossed she will turn up soon.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nay just going to repeat what others have said...don't give up! I myself have done the hunt for a turtle or tortoise game too many times. So often if you just go away, relax, and look again, they appear like magic. Like Larry said, ornates are tough little guys. Nature made them to survive. Heat, cold, or being too dry can cause them to go under. Is there a lip on the pen? Wondering if it was a climb out as these guys are great climbers of impossible walls.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Oh guys, it was so nice to hear all the words of encouragement, thank you. I keep thinking she really should turn up. But like you Terry, I think I have dug it all up. I have that plastic lattice dug down into the ground and cobblestones lining the inside. The pen is about 4 feet high and is turned in at the top. Topped with some hot wire. I really can't see how anything like Louise could even come close to climbing it, never mind get over it..My son is convinced something came inside and got her, but then wouldn't they come back for more? And/or why would something eat a tidbit(Louise) when they could have a meal(Jack)?!!
It's funny, it was scheduled to be cold one day and I was running late and asked hubby to bring all 4 torts in. When I get home he says, I couldn't find the little one. Says he even went out twice!!(Imagine that?!)I wasn't even worried thinking how sneaky she has been in the past. Well I went out and really got serious. and have checked many times. It's just now gotten pretty warm and I keep thinking if she was there she would be out, scrounging for some worms.....Anyway I will really keep up the positive thoughts and hope to see her again.
Thank you all again.
Na

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Nadine, Is this the post you were looking for? Looks like Louise got lost the last week of May! She was on the lamb for nearly 3 months!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Betts, yes thank you.
That little stinker,she seems pretty solid, wish I had weighed her. Now maybe I won't be so worried about her eating(or not)!!
It's just so nice to see her!!
Na

Status
Not open for further replies.