Another way to determine gender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
As you might know I work at Petsmart and I had a customer call with questions regarding redfoot tortoises. She wanted to know if we have any right now and if we do, what gender is it. I told her we have one but it is quite young (around 4 inches in length) so I dont know the gender for sure, however, I am thinking male at this point from the shape/length of its tail. That was when she said to look at the shape of the shell that is around the tail. If it is pointed at the top (like a triangle) it is male, whereas a more rounded shape, it is female. Has anyone heard this technique before? It seems to be accurate with my larger tortoise who I know is a female.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Sounds like she was talking about the carpace near the anal opening. I have heard many theories, but the only way to know for sure is age and size when they start developing and hit puberty.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I've heard the same thing from many Redfoot owners. :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
In the sexually mature male, the opening is wide and spacious, while females the opening is smaller and more restrictive.

I do not see in my own group, nor have I ever read any evidence that it works for young torts.

The drive to KNOW is so strong, however, that there are a lot of theories.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
shane1111 said:
can vets do a blood test like they do on some birds?

My Vet told me the blood test will only reveal--if the tort has reached sexual maturity----thus "telling" sex BUT by that time there are usually the other "visual" signs like "U"opening vs. "V"--the tail length and gular length and plastern flat or concave.

Status
Not open for further replies.