antibiotic course for elevated WBC in a Russian tortoise?

unlikelyrussian

Location (City and/or State)
mid-Alantic US
I recently adopted a Russian tortoise that I think had been largely neglected by a previous owner. I took it to an exotics vet to check it out. The vet says the tort is in relatively good shape and shell, etc is looking OK. They trimmed its beak. After bloodwork, however, the vet is saying its white blood cell count is extremely elevated and this indicates an infection. Recommends an injectable antibiotic to be given in 9 doses over a number of weeks. Does anyone seen any reason not to do this? Obviously not knowing what the infection is, if there is one, it's unclear if this would fix things, but does anyone see any drawbacks? The tortoise is eating and defecating and being soaked and spends a lot of time each day buried in orchid bark.

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Well, it's a judgement call, isn't it.

Antibiotics are tough on reptiles.

If you think you can get this tort's immune system back into balance with good care (proper habitat size for exercise, optimized heat and uvb radiation, optimal diet and hydration), then it sounds like that is an option for you. The drug therapy is always there if needed.

Post some photos of the animal and your set up it you'd like more specific opinions.

This is the most successful care info: