Ants- what harm can they cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Ok I think there is ant colony in my backyard somewhere. We just too many ants. I see them everywhere in my outdoor enclosures. I think one bit one of my Leopards today cuz while it was eating it randomly started running away really fast and it had one eye shut. I suspected it was an ant bite. He is better now though. So does anyone else know specifically what ants can really do to my torts? Im just guessing it was an ant bite but Im not totally certain. I think these are normal ants and not fire ants. Input please =]

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
You can get diatomaceous earth and spread it all over the enclosure (get the food grade one). Its ok for your torts to eat and it kills the ants too. I hate ants and they almost killed one of my adult female sulcatas, poor girl dug straight into a HUGE ant hill, thank god I was only 20-30 feet away and hosed all them off right away because she was covered head to toe.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Good to know about the diatomaceous earth! We have that around for the scorpions! I have several ant bites on my feet that have been driving me crazy! I usually just go out barefoot to check on my babies when they are outside and I got chewed up. Luckily, they haven't gotten up to the table the babies are on. I put out some ant bait things and that seemed to help too. Maybe you could even try those outside of the tort enclosure? But the diatomaceous earth I know works great for scorpions!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I love using DE. I found 2 holes and sprinkled it right in. It really help cut down on them, the only down side is once the DE gets wet it looses it's powers. I just reapply over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.