Ants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Italianlnm

Do ants effect torts??

When I take my baby out to lounge and soak up some sunlight. Also eat some nice fresh grass, I will notice the occasional ant crawling on him.. And it freaks me out.. Because I don't want him to be bit. Can they go to the part in the shell?? And what if they get bit?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Depends upon the type of ant. The black ants usually don't bite unless threatened, they're just a nuisance, but not a problem. The red ants can kill a baby tortoise if they swarm him and bite him. They literally eat him alive.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I get bit by the little black ants all the time, I think they are checking to see if I am dead, so they can start the harvest. but I just smoosh them.

ozwin

5 Year Member
I live in Wales and one of my friends who had Ozwins older brother had his tortoise killed by ants :( I spoke to him the other day to see how George was doing and he told me that ants got into his outdoor pen and killed him :(:( I was so sad!
I remember when Ozwin was out last summer when there where a lot of ants about and she hated it, they where crawling all over her and she kept rubbing her head with her front legs trying to get them off so I brought her in for the rest of the day. Be carefull with ants, they can be very dangerous.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
ozwin said:
I live in Wales and one of my friends who had Ozwins older brother had his tortoise killed by ants :( I spoke to him the other day to see how George was doing and he told me that ants got into his outdoor pen and killed him :(:( I was so sad!
I remember when Ozwin was out last summer when there where a lot of ants about and she hated it, they where crawling all over her and she kept rubbing her head with her front legs trying to get them off so I brought her in for the rest of the day. Be carefull with ants, they can be very dangerous.

We have Argentinian ants here, the small black ones. I keep them at bay by sprinkling cinnamon where ever I don't want them...I sprinkle around the tort enclosure, smells good too!

Status
Not open for further replies.