any advise on our new tortoise

RaeJ

Hi everyone
My daughter was given a small tortoise which our neighbour found in her driveway the thing is we know nothing of this little fellow for example sex species age,we would love any advice on any of these aswell as what sorts of food to feed it. We live in south africa,if any one could help we will appreciate it ill upload a pic of the tortoise if that will help aswell as that he or she has a long tail with a funny little hard hook type thing at the end its bottom shell is flat

IMG-20150212-02084.jpg IMG-20150212-02083.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Rae, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry to be a Susie Downer, but in my opinion, you need to contact a wildlife rescue and turn this little baby in. Tortoises are protected in South Africa and I'm pretty sure it is against the law for you to pick it up. While I'm very happy you and your neighbor rescued the tortoise from certain death, it is now a good thing for you to find a rescue organization that can return it safely to the wild.

RaeJ

Hi
I live in durban where you are allowed to have a tortoise if you obtain a permit which I've done so my tortoise is legal and I have infact spoken to a wildlife rescue centre who informed me that it is infact legal to have tortoises on your property if I have a permit and that I'm allowed to keep it even if its a baby thanks for your advice tho

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, that's certainly good news. Let's send a shout out to @Will and @tortadise both of them are well versed in the species of South Africa. In the meantime, keep the baby warm and in a moist and humid environment. In order to feel safe he will need some hiding places, maybe a few plants. And soak him in warm water daily for about 15 minutes. As to feeding, let's wait to find out what kind you have.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...you're probably too young to remember, and maybe it was a U.S. thing, but years ago there was a comedian named Raymond Johnson and one of the schticks he always did was, "You can call me Ray, and you can call me J, but you doesn't has to call me Johnson" So every time I see your name that's what jumps into my head. :)

RaeJ

Thanks I've noticed that he or she immediately goes to dark places will definately do I remember vagely a ray johnson

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Definitely a species of homopus. Looks like areolatus(parrot beak) which is the common padloper. But homopus range doesn't quite extend near Durban. for sexing it will require a photo of the plastron(underside). I'd speculate a female given it's size in compared to the human hand in the photo. Males are typically very small.

RaeJ

Hi
Thank you for your help would it be possible for you to tell me what size enclosure it will need and what the best materials will be to use for its enclosure as I've read on the internet that's its difficult to raise them due to the type of habitat they live in also I've uploaded two pics one of the bottom in order for you to help with the sex

Attachments

• IMG-20150214-02095.jpg
    IMG-20150214-02095.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-20150214-02097.jpg
    IMG-20150214-02097.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-20150214-02097.jpg
    IMG-20150214-02097.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 51

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It is usually recommended to make the enclosure as big as possible. Will the tortoise to be outside year-round? Is it from an area near where you live? try to make the habitat as close to their natural environment as possible.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Check out the species specific section of the forum under "All other African species" area. There might be some more information there that would be helpful.

RaeJ

Hi
The species of tortoise that I have is a parrot beak tortoise commonly known as a padlooper I live in durban and apparantely they aren't found in my area so basically I'm not sure what type of habitat they live in or whether or not they stay out all year or what thanks for your help

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm sorry I can't be more of a help. I just don't know anything about that type of tortoise. But maybe somebody here does. Search through the site here and see what you can find.

JeannineD

5 Year Member
Garden Route, South Africa
Hi there. I hope I am not too late to be of help. I have a Parrot beak which lives in my garden. I am near Knysna and it wandered in on its own. She lives in a small area near the compost heap and doesn't seem to wander much. She loves to hide, and is always under bushes and under branches in the compost heap. She also climbs really well and we sometimes find her right on top of the heap, a couple of metres high. She eats leaves and the little weeds that occur in the small patch of lawn there. She adores Hibiscus flowers and buds, particularly the red ones. Also very partial to succulents as I see many tiny bits out of all the succulent plants.

goldengreek sally

To tell if it is a boy or girl look at the bottom of its shell and if it is flat it is a girl but if it is more rounded then it is a boy. The reason is that when they reproduce the boy is on top so then the bottom of his shell can be on the top of hers