Any BIG plant or tree i can have in my backyard as food sources?

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
south Florida
hi guys ,i am thinking to have something big that provide enough food for my tortoises,any suggestion ? thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
a non fruit mulberry tree would work good.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
Ok,forgot one thing ,plant or tree that don't easily get bugs,cause I have a lot of hibiscus in my backyard and they got a lot of aphids and mealy bugs :( ..

Prairie Mom

I second the Mulberry suggestion. Grape vines are also pretty handy and you can stick them anywhere, fences etc. Rose of Sharon is another good shrub. Some people also grow banana trees and feed the leaves and stalks to their tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Grape vines, spineless opuntia and mulberry are my top choices.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
Thanks guys, none fruit mulberry tree sounds good ,and for spineless opuntia ,does it still have like tiny spine or there is one that has no spine at all ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks guys, none fruit mulberry tree sounds good ,and for spineless opuntia ,does it still have like tiny spine or there is one that has no spine at all ?

All the opuntia have some form of tiny spines, glocchids, but this won't bother your tortoises in the least.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Moringa! Good for torts and good for you/us. Easy peasy fast grower and you can harvest away often. We, tort geeks, and everyone else, should ALL be planting moringa trees for health and for helping. Miracle tree, really. I will now let you all do your own research. Ready, set .... google away.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
All the opuntia have some form of tiny spines, glocchids, but this won't bother your tortoises in the least.
Ic , I gave my tortoise one time and tiny spines went in finger , I was hurting for 2 weeks , now I give them aloe Vera instead .

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
Moringa! Good for torts and good for you/us. Easy peasy fast grower and you can harvest away often. We, tort geeks, and everyone else, should ALL be planting moringa trees for health and for helping. Miracle tree, really. I will now let you all do your own research. Ready, set .... google away.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449332199.513623.jpgthis tree is awesome , but to me I think it has too much nutrition for tortoise . Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ic , I gave my tortoise one time and tiny spines went in finger , I was hurting for 2 weeks , now I give them aloe Vera instead .

These cactus pads are truly a wonder food for tortoises. You just need to learn how to handle them. I have some thick rubber gloves that I handle mine with. I rub the pads with my gloved hands under running water and it removes all. The glocchids. After this treatment you can handle them bare handed.

You can also singe the glocchids off with an open flame.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I researched it. Looks like a great fit for my area, but it says that it cannot handle frost. We do get an occasional below freezing night here during winter. Could this tree survive that? Regular hibiscus, cape honeysuckle, and Ficus benjamina cannot survive here over winter. Would this tree fare better than those?

If yes, can I arrange to buy some seeds from you by spring time?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
this tree is awesome , but to me I think it has too much nutrition for tortoise . Lol

This is an old notion from the past when people thought that protein caused pyramiding. Its incorrect. No plant has too much nutrition for a tortoise. Everything in moderation and balance.

For your original question, I still think you won't be able to top a mulberry. They also provide deep shade in summer, but allow full sun in winter when the leaves drop off.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
Non fruit Mulberry tree is gonna have a lot of worms and bugs? I know they use mulberry tree to host silkworms lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Non fruit Mulberry tree is gonna have a lot of worms and bugs? I know they use mulberry tree to host silkworms lol.

I have a beautiful mulberry tree that shades my rain forest. I've lived here for 20 years and the tree was in place when I moved here. It has never had an infestation of any kind of bug.