Any cactus connoisseurs?

surfergirl

you can burn the small spines off with a grill lighter . i used to do that but now i just feed them as is after seeing pictures of wild torts eating them

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I just ordered some opuntia pads and am hoping that one or more will be in good shape to plant so that I can grow some for ongoing feeding of Darwin, my redfoot.

Jamie

Becca267

5 Year Member
North Texas
As a side note, sometimes "Spineless" varieties can have little spines on the some of the pads. So it's always a good ideas to pay attention when working with them. The spines are really hard to get our of your skin.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
[QUOTE="ALDABRAMAN, post: 1693114, member: 6
[/QUOTE]
Better watch the fingers there, he has a ravenous appetite for the cactus. Might get the finger too!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
If you have a brown thumb and your local grocer does not carry some, or you suspect it has been treated with citrus juice, consider Cactus Chips.

The 8 ounce quantity of dried chips is like 5 pounds fresh. New lower price of $18.95 delivered. Keeps for a year, and is super convenient.

See my ad here on TFO in the for sale thread https://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/for-sale.26/

SULCY

NEW YORK
I had ordered some opuntia pads and instead of feeding I planted them in pots. They are now huge and the torts love it. They do grow very quickly and are easy to grow. I take them in for the winter and out during the summer. Just stick them in the dirt.

Chasen

Galveston
You're
For babies I take a potato peeler to the pad. In my experience babies have a hard time biting through the hard skin.
like Hints from Heloius
For babies I take a potato peeler to the pad. In my experience babies have a hard time biting through the hard skin.
You're like Hints from Helois on here. I love it!

Chasen

Galveston
As a side note, sometimes "Spineless" varieties can have little spines on the some of the pads. So it's always a good ideas to pay attention when working with them. The spines are really hard to get our of your skin.
If you put elmers glue on the spines and let it dry, you can pull them out as you peel off the glue.