Any LGBTQ members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
*I don't believe this directly breaks any rules, but can understand if it could cause controversy and I can take this down if that is the case*

Just wondering if any of you tortoise owners fit into the LGBTQ(and all the other letters that cover anyone and everyone) community. No one has to specify if you don't want to , I'm just curious if anyone else here is. I'm part of a forum specifically for LGBTQ people, but i'm just wondering about you guys? Since I spend a lot of my time here too.

I'm comfortable sharing. I'm lesbian, out for years now, and in the past year discovered genderfluid is such a thing and that's how I identify (favor the masculine side but like my female body as is).

So feel free to share!

*again sorry if this is controversial, I don't consider it so but understand all sides*

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it would be no different that if a member put up a thread asking if there were any Catholics on the Forum (not equating it with a religion, just sayin')

It depends upon where the thread goes. If it stays reasonable, polite and non-controversial, in my opinion, it can stay. But I am just one mod of several.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This member is asking for anyone who is homosexual or lesbian to say so here. I do not see the comparison to religion and sexual orientation as the same at all.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
This member is asking for anyone who is homosexual or lesbian to say so here. I do not see the comparison to religion and sexual orientation as the same at all.

I think Yvonne was meaning as something people identify themselves by. Black, white, gay, straight, male, female, catholic, jewish, cat person, dog person, tortoise person...these are just groups people identify with.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No need to defend Yvonne, I adore her. I did not aim any point at Yvonne, just simply offered by opinion ;) I personally see this thread going wrong....quickly. Also, I do not see any benefit from it either.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think Yvonne was meaning as something people identify themselves by. Black, white, gay, straight, male, female, catholic, jewish, cat person, dog person, tortoise person...these are just groups people identify with.

Thank you! Afterall, I DID say "...not equating it with religion..."

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I don't see why you would need to ask this ?
? While I do not identify in any way to the LGBT community and I am a practicing conservative with a moderate lean towards the left socially, I can fully understand why this person is asking this here. Similar interests in tortoises and turtles draw us to this and other tortoise and turtle activities. One's natural inclination would be to see if there are other people who share more than an interest in torts and turtles. For instance, I am very interested in finding out if there are single ladies around my age that are interested in them. I am also quite interested in finding out if there is a community of folks with my same interests in my area. WHAT those interests are varies and anyone should be comfortable asking if like minded people are available on this forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the OP did the correct thing in asking if it was ok. We have rules, and while it hasn't specifically been mentioned about gays, etc. these type threads DO get rather heated and arguments ensue.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I think the OP did the correct thing in asking if it was ok. We have rules, and while it hasn't specifically been mentioned about gays, etc. these type threads DO get rather heated and arguments ensue.
They can get rather one sided quickly but I see no difference between this topic and ones asking if there are any other deaf people, or Sulcata owners, who are you or any other people who live in Denmark. Sure, the location ones lead to geo-specific care, but most of them are simply "Hey! I live in Dallas. Who else lives in Dallas?" type threads.

Maverick

5 Year Member
Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender (Q???) Have no idea what the Q is for. This is the first I have seen it.
"Q" is for "questioning", I google it. Just another label to divide people in my opinion. No matter who gave the label.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Okay so I know I said I was leaving, now I really am. Yvonne, this thread is going to go into spiral mode rapidly....

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
"Q" is for "questioning", I google it. Just another label to divide people in my opinion. No matter who gave the label.
Thanks for the clarification. Much better than the first offering.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I think it would be no different that if a member put up a thread asking if there were any Catholics on the Forum (not equating it with a religion, just sayin')

It depends upon where the thread goes. If it stays reasonable, polite and non-controversial, in my opinion, it can stay. But I am just one mod of several.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

See to me its hard since people asking any (pic any religion) out there wouldn't offend me at all, but I have a hugely open mind. And yeah while its not religion it can be just as controversial so I know what you mean comparing them.

Any hint of someone being offended or arguments starting I was going to take it down myself if someone didn't beat me to it. just curiosity really.
And I know it is possible that can happen and it can spiral in a way I never intended but my curiosity got the best of me on this one and I'm completely ok with deleting the thread if things go out of control, or having the thread deleted.

My original intention was that we all like tortoises and turtles so I wonder if some of us share other things. This is similar to other forums when I ask if anyone has torts, and that's how I mean it to be asked. @Saleama put it perfectly in words I couldn't come up with earlier.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I look forward to the day when there is no separate community of LGBTQ. I hope one day that we don't need gay pride or LGBTQ allies. I hope for universal acceptance. Human beings are complex and diverse creatures and I look forward to the day that all of the things that make us all different are the very things we appreciate and accept about our species. I have called myself an ally but I wish I lived in a time when there was no need for an ally of this nature, but I don't, so I stand with the LGBTQ community as an ally.

Elohi(Earth)

Status
Not open for further replies.