Any LGBTQ members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Thanks for the clarification. Much better than the first offering.
Last time I was aware, since these things area always changing, the Q could stand for both Questioning and Queer, and sometime people use 2 Qs along with other letters to try to include everyone.
I usually try to avoid labels since they really are just a way of dividing people or making them feel like less. I only ever really use labels to explain myself, I think my preferred grouping is "Pride community" over LGBTQ though since, like I mentioned before, LGBTQ is constantly used with different letters different orders to try to include everyone that it gets quite confusing.

I took a whole college course on gender and sexuality so maybe that's why I feel like I can so causally bring this up, since we all kind of broke out of our comfort barriers in that class and had some pretty interesting enlightening conversations.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I look forward to the day when there is no separate community of LGBTQ. I hope one day that we don't need gay pride or LGBTQ allies. I hope for universal acceptance. Human beings are complex and diverse creatures and I look forward to the day that all of the things that make us all different are the very things we appreciate and accept about our species. I have called myself an ally but I wish I lived in a time when there was no need for an ally of this nature, but I don't, so I stand with the LGBTQ community as an ally.

Elohi(Earth)

Well said! I feel like society is a lot more open than it used to be though. People now are gaining more tolerance. My 83 year old catholic grandmother knew I liked other females and could have cared less as long as I was happy (but she also had an ipad and played candy crush and stalked facebook, so maybe she was just super unique.) but this world is definitely changing toward that. But I feel like such groups will always exist for reasons like this forum exists, people who have things in common group together, and these groups now are more about meeting similar people and less about making changes because many changes have already been made.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ah ok. I'm traditional and not up to speed with acronyms and the "new world" speaking. Ha. I could care less. I am a human. And totally dedicated to animals and nature. Anything involving humans or society has not much bearing of care from me.

I Will say as a moderator. I can see this thread going very very wrong, and too aggressive in people(members) views and opinions. So I will just go ahead and state this. KEEP IT CIVIL.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Ah ok. I'm traditional and not up to speed with acronyms and the "new world" speaking. Ha. I could care less. I am a human. And totally dedicated to animals and nature. Anything involving humans or society has not much bearing of care from me.

I Will say as a moderator. I can see this thread going very very wrong, and too aggressive in people(members) views and opinions. So I will just go ahead and state this. KEEP IT CIVIL.
Animals and nature can be much better than society sometimes, I think society makes life harder on us, but if I had my way i'd go off an live as a wild-woman so I mean maybe i'm a bit swayed there :p
As for civility, as the OP I have no interest in letting it turn into an argument or debate, and especially since its a topic that does have potential to go out of control I have no plans to counter or argue if someone starts saying anything headed down there, it does no good for the LGBTQ community or our tortoise forum community to argue and discredit people and their beliefs.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I need to ask the OP, you wanted to know who was, but this is quickly turning into a debate, let a mod know what you want this thread to be, a debate, or a who's who, sort of thing. thank you.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Looks like it's labeled appropriately to me "off topic chit chat". ;)

Elohi(Earth)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I need to ask the OP, you wanted to know who was, but this is quickly turning into a debate, let a mod know what you want this thread to be, a debate, or a who's who, sort of thing. thank you.
My original intention was a who's who type of thing, but I mean its stayed pretty civil so I mean if its becoming a debate I don't really mind that, and it can be moved if that's whats best, but I don't really see it as a debate because its no is it right or wrong (yeah no lets not even get into that at all! if it goes there its lost control and should come down) or saying how people should or shouldn't live lives, its kinda just the chit chat it is. Unless I'm missing a debate point somewhere in here.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It won't be moved, just how it is moderated basically, if you want it to stay a who's who thing all comments not relating to that would be deleted from here on, if you want people to express their thoughts on it, eiher is fine, just how us mods will moderate the thread, that's all.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
It won't be moved, just how it is moderated basically, if you want it to stay a who's who thing all comments not relating to that would be deleted from here on, if you want people to express their thoughts on it, eiher is fine, just how us mods will moderate the thread, that's all.
Gotcha, I was confused by the off topic debates section! It can be seen as a debate, because I don't mind all the posts here, its a nice discussion so as long as people aren't personally attacking others (I'm assuming you guys sort that out no matter what) I think all of us expressing our opinions is good, its how we all learn.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I took a whole college course on gender and sexuality so maybe that's why I feel like I can so causally bring this up, since we all kind of broke out of our comfort barriers in that class and had some pretty interesting enlightening conversations.

Agreed on the course thing. I feel like if you have talked about something (anything) in a critical thinking/academic setting you are more likely to view it from a less emotional level even if you disagree because it becomes more of a logical argument rather than a emotional fight. I took an Anth of Sex class and while that's not really the same thing it has made me more frank about sex (to my benefit) in most situations because its not a shameful/embarrassing thing just a regular thing :) if that makes sense. And to answer you question I'm Bi, I'm currently dating and plan to stay with a guy for the foreseeable future but still technically in the club ;)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Agreed on the course thing. I feel like if you have talked about something (anything) in a critical thinking/academic setting you are more likely to view it from a less emotional level even if you disagree because it becomes more of a logical argument rather than a emotional fight. I took an Anth of Sex class and while that's not really the same thing it has made me more frank about sex (to my benefit) in most situations because its not a shameful/embarrassing thing just a regular thing :) if that makes sense. And to answer you question I'm Bi, I'm currently dating and plan to stay with a guy for the foreseeable future but still technically in the club ;)
Classes definitely make things easier, I know exactly what you mean. I mean in the beginning of the class it was really awkward for us even saying anatomical part's names! We watched some interesting videos of people unhappy with their bodies and after a little while it was just too normal and we were all dropping the f-bomb in class here and there and it wasn't weird or inappropriate. (best part was when a girl mentioned she didn't know what a dental dam was, half the class actually didn't, and a kid just casually pulled one out his backpack to pass around!? completely normal day in college lol-immature yet so mature). We spent a lot of time in class discussing how the stuff we were learning is stuff people are embarrassed by and don't talk about, and we kind of made it normal to us.
And it doesn't just technically make you part of the club, you are ;) especially with being Bi you'll always be with one or the other (assuming we're dating one at a time!) so there will always be people who say it doesn't count (or goodness forbid "theres no such thing as bi") but it does because you still have interest, and emotionally the right person's a guy (I assume that from you saying you're with him for the foreseeable future that he's "the one"?)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know people who are gay. I work with people who are gay. I have friends who are gay.

Its not relevant. It has no bearing on anything and I see no need to discuss it here or anywhere else. People's private business should remain just that. I don't go around telling people what I do behind closed doors and I don't understand when other people feel the need to do so.

I can be the most judgmental cuss you've ever seen, but someone's sexual orientation is not one of the things I would judge on. Its none of my business and I don't need to know about it. I either like you for who you are and what you do, or I don't. Who you are, or are not, attracted to is not a factor in that.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I know people who are gay. I work with people who are gay. I have friends who are gay.

Its not relevant. It has no bearing on anything and I see no need to discuss it here or anywhere else. People's private business should remain just that. I don't go around telling people what I do behind closed doors and I don't understand when other people feel the need to do so.

I can be the most judgmental cuss you've ever seen, but someone's sexual orientation is not one of the things I would judge on. Its none of my business and I don't need to know about it. I either like you for who you are and what you do, or I don't. Who you are, or are not, attracted to is not a factor in that.

*shrug* some people just like to chat and I came from a household full of rhetorical argument...everything was friendly it was just that controversial topics are more interesting to debate (my dad was a former debate nerd, we would legitimately have semi formal debates at the dinner table). From that mindset there is always a reason to discuss everything, to better understand both the subject and the opinions surrounding it (just for the simple pursuit of knowledge I guess). In this instance I think the real world and forum application of bringing it up is that your partner is a part of your life in a lot more ways than sex. Obviously sex is private but not all of your relationship is and some people like to talk about things they did and vacations they took or whatever and sometimes there can be some apprehension about that in a context where you don't know your audience.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Classes definitely make things easier, I know exactly what you mean. I mean in the beginning of the class it was really awkward for us even saying anatomical part's names! We watched some interesting videos of people unhappy with their bodies and after a little while it was just too normal and we were all dropping the f-bomb in class here and there and it wasn't weird or inappropriate. (best part was when a girl mentioned she didn't know what a dental dam was, half the class actually didn't, and a kid just casually pulled one out his backpack to pass around!? completely normal day in college lol-immature yet so mature). We spent a lot of time in class discussing how the stuff we were learning is stuff people are embarrassed by and don't talk about, and we kind of made it normal to us.
And it doesn't just technically make you part of the club, you are ;) especially with being Bi you'll always be with one or the other (assuming we're dating one at a time!) so there will always be people who say it doesn't count (or goodness forbid "theres no such thing as bi") but it does because you still have interest, and emotionally the right person's a guy (I assume that from you saying you're with him for the foreseeable future that he's "the one"?)

Yeah some times it can be an awkward middle ground to be in from people on both sides who are thoughtless about it but I don't mind, I'll talk to anyone. And yeah I'm pretty stuck on this one.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I fit into the (L) section :cool: But I definitely agree with Elohi, we are all humans and I sure hope this thread doesn't turn south. I also urge anyone in or out of the LGBTQ community to not start arguments on this thread. We shouldn't have to defend our sexuality, no more than you should have to defend yours. We're all human, try to remember that before anyone brings negativity here. Also if it does come don't let it bother you or make you upset, arguing is never going to solve anything because at the end of the day you are who you are. People are made up of individual characteristics and we are all different. I don't think the fact that I'm gay and Elohi is straight should be any different than the fact that I have one little leopard tortoise and she has 3 :D

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
*shrug* some people just like to chat and I came from a household full of rhetorical argument...everything was friendly it was just that controversial topics are more interesting to debate (my dad was a former debate nerd, we would legitimately have semi formal debates at the dinner table). From that mindset there is always a reason to discuss everything, to better understand both the subject and the opinions surrounding it (just for the simple pursuit of knowledge I guess). In this instance I think the real world and forum application of bringing it up is that your partner is a part of your life in a lot more ways than sex. Obviously sex is private but not all of your relationship is and some people like to talk about things they did and vacations they took or whatever and sometimes there can be some apprehension about that in a context where you don't know your audience.
I love debating but I can never stand strong on one chosen side because everyone always makes such nice points and insights id never known before.
and for relationships of any nature I feel like its not all about sex, its about the emotional connection you have with that person, when I talk about vacations and stuff I never make a huge deal of the fact that trips I took were with a girl because it was just life, so i'm never really shy about who I may love because to me its who I am and no different than everyone else going on vacation with someone. Sometimes I wondered if people on forums or instagram even know Im a girl because i'd always post me and my girlfriend did whatever today, I find the more casual I am the less people seem to care.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I fit into the (L) section :cool: But I definitely agree with Elohi, we are all humans and I sure hope this thread doesn't turn south. I also urge anyone in or out of the LGBTQ community to not start arguments on this thread. We shouldn't have to defend our sexuality, no more than you should have to defend yours. We're all human, try to remember that before anyone brings negativity here. Also if it does come don't let it bother you or make you upset, arguing is never going to solve anything because at the end of the day you are who you are. People are made up of individual characteristics and we are all different. I don't think the fact that I'm gay and Elohi is straight should be any different than the fact that I have one little leopard tortoise and she has 3 :D
its people who argue to defend that end up making people who disagree feel stronger, I mean I honestly don't care if someone says being gay is wrong, as long as they give me reason other than just because (though this is probably not a good approach for people to come here and do.) my response is usually, ok but I think its ok because it feels right to me, and sometimes say how its not hurting me or others around me.
Its the people who say things like you're dumb because you like (whatever gender preferred here) that's just a flat out personal attack and isn't even acceptable over things like tortoise care. there always has to be reason. I'm glad no ones really been arguing here! I really think we are mature enough to see it and if we don't want to read or be a part of this we don't, because everyone here's been very civil :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I love debating but I can never stand strong on one chosen side because everyone always makes such nice points and insights id never known before.
and for relationships of any nature I feel like its not all about sex, its about the emotional connection you have with that person, when I talk about vacations and stuff I never make a huge deal of the fact that trips I took were with a girl because it was just life, so i'm never really shy about who I may love because to me its who I am and no different than everyone else going on vacation with someone. Sometimes I wondered if people on forums or instagram even know Im a girl because i'd always post me and my girlfriend did whatever today, I find the more casual I am the less people seem to care.
Well this is off topic chit chat so those who want to debate can and those who don't can go elsewhere. I personally like to debate different issues and do not mind at all as long as the topic is on the appropriate forum page, such as this one. Now, had you posted on a tortoise page and said something like "Hi! This is big gay Alice and I have a sick turtle!" (South Park reference for those who live under a rock) then that topic becomes inappropriate and questionable, lol. Time and place I always say. I also noticed you just recently joined so, welcome aboard! Can't wait to hear about and see pics of your little buddy(ies)!

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I do see where you're coming from by saying it shouldn't be discussed
Well this is off topic chit chat so those who want to debate can and those who don't can go elsewhere. I personally like to debate different issues and do not mind at all as long as the topic is on the appropriate forum page, such as this one. Now, had you posted on a tortoise page and said something like "Hi! This is big gay Alice and I have a sick turtle!" (South Park reference for those who live under a rock) then that topic becomes inappropriate and questionable, lol. Time and place I always say. I also noticed you just recently joined so, welcome aboard! Can't wait to hear about and see pics of your little buddy(ies)!

I've been a member for at least a year x) What happened was I got a leopard tortoise from a larger company and not a breeder on the forums, they didn't give good care straight from the egg so he was dehydrated and that damaged his organs. When i got him he seemed fine and healthy, he always ate and drank and was active, but he never grew in all the time i had him. I followed Tom's care so he was getting good care, but his shell started going soft and he past away. After wards I was going to get another one but decided against it at the time and I wound up with a lizard, (argentine tegu) and so I drifted from the forum because I no longer owned a tortoise. My birthday is on the 28th and my girlfriend currently lives in a different state, she's flying down for half of july and so we were thinking of birthday gifts for each other because hers is the 12th, and she knew i loved reptiles and she talked me into a tortoise. I picked one out from a forum member thats a leopard tortoise hybrid between babcocki and pardalis. He doesn't come home until the 18th this month so I won't get him until next friday but I'm happy that i'm back in the tortoise world so i came back to the forums. I'm sure they deactivated my account, or something of the sort so it probably says i'm new again :) I have a few pics of the tortoise so far.
image-29.jpeg IMG_3844.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.